Each therapist in a practice needs to be recognised individually. To become Bupa recognised osteopaths and chiropractors need to:
- hold accreditation with the professional body relative to your speciality:
- Osteopaths - General Osteopathic Council (GOsC)
- Chiropractors - General Chiropractic Council (GCC)
- registration with British Medical Acupuncture Society (BMAS) is mandatory if performing acupuncture as part of therapy
- have a clean record with the regulatory body. If you’ve previously undergone hearings or investigations investigations we will need further information to process your application (please see the additional information section below which explains what we need to consider your application)
- have at least five years post qualification experience
- have current indemnity insurance up to the amount advised by your professional or regulatory body, and attach a copy of your insurance certificate to your application
- have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate (UK, Wales and Channel Islands), an AccessNI enhanced certificate (Northern Ireland), or a Disclosure Scotland enhanced disclosure that was completed within the three years before applying for Bupa recognition
- submit all invoices to Bupa online for eligible treatment for our customers, receive payment from Bupa via BACs, and not send invoices to our customers
You’ll also need to supply photographic proof of identity. The proof of identity form
(pdf, 33kb) explains which documents you can use.
Chiropractors performing x-rays will be required to complete a quality assessment for all equipment with our Healthcare Quality Team. You will be contacted regarding this after we have completed your basic recognition. As a result of this please note that your initial recognition will not contain x-rays and so you will not be eligible for this service at this point.
- If you’ve previously undergone investigations or hearings with any of your professional bodies please attach a copy of any correspondence with them about the investigation in step 3.
- If you’ve told us about any declarations, convictions or previous suspensions please attach a copy of investigation case notes and a covering letter explaining the circumstances in step 3.