- What is sickle cell anaemia? Sickle Cell Society. www.sicklecellsociety.org, accessed 10 November 2011
- What is sickle cell anaemia? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). www.nhlbi.nih.gov, published February 2011
- Sickle cell disease. The Merck Manuals. www.merckmanuals.com, published February 2009
- Standards for the clinical care of adults with sickle cell disease in the UK. Sickle Cell Society. www.sicklecellsociety.org, published 2008
- Introducing newborn blood spot screening for parents. UK Newborn Screening Programme Centre. www.newbornbloodspot.screening.nhs.uk, accessed 10 November 2011
- Sickle cell disease in childhood: standards and guidelines for clinical care. NHS Sickle Cell & Thalassaemia Screening Programme. www.sct.screening.nhs.uk, published October 2010.
- Pharmacotherapy of sickle cell disease. World Health Organization. www.who.int, published March 2011
- Sickle-cell disease and other haemoglobin disorders. World Health Organization, www.who.int, published January 2011
- Protective effect of sickle cell trait against malaria-associated mortality and morbidity. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). www.cdc.gov, published February 2010
- Stay healthy with sickle cell disease. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). www.cdc.gov, published 14 March 2011
- Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary. 62nd ed. London: British Medical Association and Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain; 2011
- Personal communication, Dr John Houghton, Consultant Haematologist, Spire Manchester Hospital, 9 December 2011
For our main content on this topic, see Information.
For answers to frequently asked questions on this topic, see FAQs.