Bupa Instant GP is a Bupa app, powered by Babylon, that provides consultations with GPs or specialists through a smartphone or tablet.
You can access:
- Video or telephone consultations with a GP or specialist.
- Answers to medical queries – simply enter your symptoms and you’ll be directed to the most appropriate place of care, or reassurance to manage the symptoms yourself through the “Chat” triage feature.
- Prescriptions that can be issued and sent to a pharmacy of your choice convenient to you or delivered directly to your home. Please note, as this is a Private GP appointment you will have to pay the cost of the medication that is issued.
- Appointments are available 24/7, excluding Bank Holidays
In the UK we provide both ‘click and collect’ and delivery services for your prescription. Delivery of prescriptions can be the same day or next day depending on availability and your location. If you choose to pick up a prescription from your chosen pharmacy, you can do so within 2 hours once you have selected the pharmacy (as long as this is within the hours of 8am-8pm Monday to Sunday.
Please note, Bupa Instant GP is not an emergency service and if you require emergency assistance, please use the NHS accident and emergency service.
- You can download the Bupa Instant GP app from the App store or Google Play.
- Once you download the App you can register your details. If you have been provided with a promotional code remember to enter it at this point.
- You will need to register with your name, preferred email address and date of birth.
- Your account will then be verified and activated by Babylon.
What do I do if I have difficulty in downloading or activating the app? What do I do if I have difficulty in downloading or activating the app?
If you have any technical problems or issues downloading the Bupa Instant GP app, please contact our colleagues in the babylon support team:
- email at firstname.lastname@example.org or
- call the babylon helpline: 033 0223 1008 (available 8am-8pm, 7 days a week)
- You can use your smartphone (either iPhone or Android), or a laptop/computer and you will need to be connected to the internet. Where possible we recommend using WiFi, rather than 3G or 4G, as this usually gives the most reliable connection.
- We highly recommend using your smartphone or tablet to access Bupa Instant GP
- The “Chat” triage functionality is not accessible via web browsers
- 1. On the appointments screen, you will have two icons to choose the type of consultation you require – “GP” or “Specialist”.
- 2. You will always see the time of the next available appointment on the screen but you can choose an alternative appointment date and time by tapping the “Clock” icon.
- 3. Choose a video or phone consultation and enter any details about your symptoms.
- 4. Finally, tap “Book” to confirm your consultation.
- 5. Once your appointment is booked a screen will pop up confirming this and to let you know the name of the GP who will be contacting you. You will also receive an email with some details about your GP.
- 6. If you go to the “Clinical Records” section (located in the ‘Me’ section), you will see an Appointment icon. You can see the details of your upcoming appointments and any previous appointments here.
- 7. If you need to cancel your appointment you can do this here too.
- 8. Appointments are for 10 mins, although if you require longer than 10 mins you can book another appointment.
You can usually get an appointment within two hours of your request. Often appointments are available in less than 30 minutes.
- You will receive a push notification reminding you about your appointment five minutes before it is due to start.
- If you haven't already, go to the settings on your phone and enable push notifications for Bupa Instant GP.
- The GP/Specialist will then call you by your preferred specified channel - phone or by video call at the scheduled time.
What happens if the GP/Specialist advises I need diagnostics or further tests? What happens if the GP/Specialist advises I need diagnostics or further tests?
If you have a Bupa health insurance policy, you will need to follow the steps below:
- If you require any diagnostic tests, the standard Bupa pre-authorisation process will apply.
- For pre-authorisation you will need to call the Bupa helpline on 0345 609 0777 to obtain a pre-authorisation code.
What happens if I don’t have a Bupa health insurance policy and need diagnostics or further tests? What happens if I don’t have a Bupa health insurance policy and need diagnostics or further tests?
If you do not have a Bupa health insurance policy, you can go to your NHS GP and pick up the recommended pathway from there.
Some of the Specialists that are available to offer video/telephone appointments with include: Some of the Specialists that are available to offer video/telephone appointments with include:
- General Medicine
- General Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Ear, Nose and Throat Surgeon
- Oral and Maxillofacial
- If you require a private prescription, you will have to pay for this.
- The cost of private prescriptions will vary by pharmacy and medication.
- For many of the most common prescriptions, the medicine prescribed on a private prescription may be similar to or less than the cost of an NHS prescription (£8.60).
- In order to obtain a repeat supply of medicines another consultation must be made.
- If you require an NHS prescription you will need to see your own NHS GP practice. If the Bupa Instant GP prescribes medication and you do not wish to pay for a private prescription, you have the option of booking an appointment with your own NHS GP and paying the standard NHS prescription costs.
- You can start using the ‘Chat’ by simply typing your health questions. Please keep your questions short and focused. For example: “I have back pain”.
- You can ask medical question and we will try to direct you to the right service, but it is not a replacement for seeing a doctor if you’re unwell.
- ‘Chat’ is still learning about children and health in pregnancy so isn’t ready to help with these topics. In these cases, you can still book an appointment with a GP for further help.
Can a child under the age of 16 use the ‘Chat’ feature? Can a child under the age of 16 use the ‘Chat’ feature?
- Children under the age of 16 must be added to their parent's account and can only have a consultation with a babylon GP when a parent or guardian is present for the consultation.
- Consultations with a child must be carried out via video call.
No, however all nurses, GPs and specialists are employed by babylon and are registered with the General Medical Council (GMC).
Do you share the details of my consultation with my regular NHS GP? Do you share the details of my consultation with my regular NHS GP?
- If you would like to share the details of you appointment with your regular NHS GP you can choose this option within the app every time you book a consultation and provide the details for your GP surgery at that point.
- By selecting this option, the notes from your consultation will be sent to your regular NHS GP.
Situations that require immediate attention. Here are some examples (although not exhaustive):
- Chest pain
- Severe bleeding
- Severe difficulty in breathing (shortness of breath)
- Sudden, severe pain anywhere in the body
- Moderate to severe burns
- Convulsions or seizures
- Sudden change in mental status (such as unusual behaviour, confusion, difficulty waking from sleep)
- Head or spinal injuries
- Serious limb impairment or broken bone
- You have harmed yourself or have plans to end your life
For certain conditions, we recommend that you always speak to one of our clinicians. These include (but are not limited to):
- Recent surgery
- Known HIV or AIDS
- Active Tuberculosis
- Fever after travel outside of Europe or North America
- New or rapidly changing rashes
Remember all text-based chat with babylon should not be considered a substitute for medical advice.
- To change and update your details go to the Me icon, click on Clinical Records, then click on the Your Details section.
- Here you can edit or update your name, email, phone number, address, DOB, and other personal information.
- In Clinical Records you can also update your GP details as well as your medical history.
- Even though the Bupa Instant GP app is a UK based service, you can download the app and have a consultation with a UK GP from anywhere in the world as long you have a reliable network connection.
- All doctors are English speaking and can help you to get the medical treatment you need, wherever you are. At the moment, we don’t cover any other languages.
- Specialist appointments cannot be accessed abroad.
- If you’re in the European Economic Area, your babylon GP may be able to arrange a private prescription for you, however there are strict rules and regulations that our doctors must adhere to. There will be restrictions on what can and cannot be prescribed.
- If you’re somewhere else in the world, we’ll do our best to help you to support you, but can’t guarantee you’ll be able to get your prescription fulfilled.
- At the time of your appointment the GP will do everything they can to assist you with this.
Can I get medication delivered?
Yes. Delivery times and charges will vary between countries. If you need your medication delivered, please contact: email@example.com
Do I have the option to choose a female or male GP? Do I have the option to choose a female or male GP?
We do not currently have the option to choose a female or male GP in the app. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if this is an issue and our clinical support team will assist you.
You will find answers to most queries in our FAQ’s however if you need to speak to us please see the relevant contact information below:
Bupa managed queries:
Speak to us at "Bupa” if you have a query on:
- Offer or registration code issues
- Your health insurance policy
- The pre-authorisation process following a babylon referral
- Other Bupa products and services
Please contact the Bupa support team by calling us on 0345 609 0777.
Babylon managed queries
Speak to Babylon if you have a query on:
- Technical problems with the application
- Queries relating to the features provided using the app
- Downloading the Bupa Instant GP app
Please contact the babylon support team via email at email@example.com
Is my information shared? If so who with?
- If you give explicit consent at the time of booking your consultation your information can only be shared with your NHS GP.
What if my phone/device gets stolen and someone tries to use my account?
- The system has an automatic log-out function after 30 minutes of inactivity.
- You will also be required to enter a password when entering your 'Clinical records', so if someone uses your computer while you are logged-in, your information would still be protected.
Where are my medical records stored?
- babylon store all your personal health data, including your primary care information, secondary care information, medication information and diagnostic information, on secure servers located in the UK.
- Where you have chosen a password that enables you to access certain parts of our app, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Are the consultations private?
- Yes, completely private. All consultations are given with just yourself and the doctor.
- You can see a full recording of your session when you go to Clinical Records, perfect for those times when you can't remember everything that was said.
- Don't worry, all recordings are encrypted and accessible only to you and restricted members of the Babylon senior clinical management team managing your care, for the purpose of ensuring exceptional quality of service.
- One of Babylon’s GPs can give you a sickness certificate following a consultation if appropriate.
- Please note that Babylon sick notes are not valid for social security or statutory sick pay purposes. Only a patient’s own NHS GP can issue NHS Fit Notes which are acceptable for such purposes.
If you have our health insurance, you can now speak to us about your symptoms over the phone† and be given clear advice on what to do next. Depending on your cover and the nature of your symptoms, we could book you an appointment with a consultant or therapists there and then for these conditions below:
- Cancer symptoms
- Muscle, joint and bone symptoms
- Mental health symptoms
- Cataract procedures
†Direct access telephone services are available as long as the symptoms are covered under the policy. Direct access services may not be available for some underwriting methods. Please call us to allow us to check your eligibility for the direct access service. Pre-existing and chronic conditions are normally excluded.
Please visit Direct Access for further information.