Mental health matters in retail
Mental health issues are a concern for any type of business, but does retail have a bigger problem? Worryingly, 58% of retail workers report suffering mental health problems caused by their work. As an owner of a small or medium retail business, this stat may be alarming. Not only because of the obvious impacts to your team as a result of absenteeism and lack of motivation, but also the welfare of your employees.As an employer, do you feel that the problem can be too large to grasp? You’re not alone. As few as 3% of senior decision makers in retail report feeling that they have the support required to help staff with mental health issues, and only 21% feel their staff are comfortable discussing this subject with them.
The pressures of working in retail are plain to see. At 10 hours, the average working day for retail staff is two hours longer than the average day for staff in other sectors. Staff spend much of the day on their feet, and 35% often miss their lunch break. Despite the high level of physical strain, retail workers aren’t getting the exercise they need, being less likely to have been involved in a physical activity in the past seven days.
With all this in mind, perhaps it makes sense that retail’s absence rate is one of the highest in the private sector, at 7.4 days per employee each year. When conditions are intense and stressful, mental and physical health can quickly decline.
Support for you and your team
Bupa cover includes a wide range of features that can provide helpful assistance in an industry with an ongoing wellbeing problem.
Taking care of your team’s mental health and wellbeing can play an important part in how confident they feel in the workplace and their ability to cope with everyday work pressures. We’re here to support you and your team at every step. Start by getting a Bupa guide price – it only takes minutes.
Get a guide price
Offer Terms and Conditions
1. This offer is available to UK residents aged 18+ who purchase a new Bupa Select company health insurance policy directly through Bupa for their small or medium sized business (“SME”). The offer only applies to new SME customers, including those switching from an alternative company health insurance provider, and is not available for existing Bupa SME customers or available on any other Bupa products or services.
2. The offer is not available to customers purchasing a Bupa Select policy via an intermediary and is only available to customers purchasing a company health insurance policy to cover 2 to 249 employees or more.
3. This offer is only available for new or switching customers for whom a quote is provided between 07 January 2019 and 28 February 2019 inclusive (the “Quote”). Quotes are valid and able to be accepted for 28 days but the policy start date on your Quote must be between 07 January 2019 and 28 February 2019 inclusive. In addition to the terms set out herein, Bupa’s standard Bupa Select policy terms and conditions will apply in full.
4. The discount amount is based on 20% of the total annual subscription amount that would otherwise be payable by you for your SME Bupa Select policy. Your discounted subscription amount will be stated in your Quote and shall be your base price going forward for your SME Bupa Select policy. At renewal of your policy, this base price will be used when calculating your renewal premiums. We also consider additional factors such as (but not limited to) claims history, age of members, the rising cost of healthcare and IPT and these will be factored into each year’s renewal subscription.
5. Bupa reserves the right to decline to offer a company health insurance policy in its absolute discretion, and Bupa’s decision regarding any aspect of this promotion is final.
6. Bupa reserves the right to cancel, suspend, amend or withdraw the promotion at any time.
7. The offer is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, has no cash value/alternative and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers or discounts.
8. Bupa will use any personal information in accordance with its privacy notice which can be found at bupa.co.uk/privacy.
9. The promotion and these terms and conditions are governed by English law and the parties submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales..