Mental health matters in retail
Mental health issues are a concern for any type of business, but does retail have a bigger problem? Worryingly, 58% of retail workers report suffering mental health problems caused by their work. As an owner of a small or medium retail business, this stat may be alarming. Not only because of the obvious impacts to your team as a result of absenteeism and lack of motivation, but also the welfare of your employees.As an employer, do you feel that the problem can be too large to grasp? You’re not alone. As few as 3% of senior decision makers in retail report feeling that they have the support required to help staff with mental health issues, and only 21% feel their staff are comfortable discussing this subject with them.
The pressures of working in retail are plain to see. At 10 hours, the average working day for retail staff is two hours longer than the average day for staff in other sectors. Staff spend much of the day on their feet, and 35% often miss their lunch break. Despite the high level of physical strain, retail workers aren’t getting the exercise they need, being less likely to have been involved in a physical activity in the past seven days.
With all this in mind, perhaps it makes sense that retail’s absence rate is one of the highest in the private sector, at 7.4 days per employee each year. When conditions are intense and stressful, mental and physical health can quickly decline.
Support for you and your team
Bupa cover includes a wide range of features that can provide helpful assistance in an industry with an ongoing wellbeing problem.
Taking care of your team’s mental health and wellbeing can play an important part in how confident they feel in the workplace and their ability to cope with everyday work pressures. We’re here to support you and your team at every step. Start by getting a Bupa guide price – it only takes minutes.
Get a guide price
Q2 Terms and conditions
1. This offer is available to UK registered corporate entities who purchase a new Bupa Select Company PMI policy directly through Bupa for their small or medium sized business (“SME”). The offer only applies to new SME Clients, including those switching from an alternative company health insurance provider, and is not available for existing Bupa SME Clients or available on any other Bupa products or services.
2. The offer is not available to SME Clients purchasing a Bupa Select policy via an intermediary and is only available to SME Clients purchasing a Select Company PMI policy to cover between 2 and 249 employees.
3. This offer is only available for new or switching SME Clients for whom a quote is provided between 1st April 2019 and 31st May 2019 inclusive. Quotes are valid for 28 days and the policy must start between 1st April 2019 and 31st May 2019 inclusive. Bupa’s standard Terms of Business and Bupa Select Policy Terms & Conditions will apply.
4. Eligible SME Clients will receive access to Bupa’s Healthy Minds Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) for up to 12 months, commencing on the SME Client’s policy start date and will be available during this period subject to the Bupa Select Company PMI policy being active. There is no option to upgrade or otherwise change this offer. Please note this offer will not be applied in subsequent years. If you wish to continue to have access to Healthy Minds EAP for your employees after this initial 12 months, you must request this at renewal of your Select Company PMI policy and pay any applicable fees and charges.
5. All employees (including any new joiners) will be eligible to access Healthy Minds EAP during the 12-month period as long as they are covered by your select Company PMI policy. Employees who leave or otherwise stop being covered by the policy will not be eligible to access our Healthy Minds EAP service.
6. Bupa reserves the right to cancel, suspend, amend or withdraw the promotion at any point without prior notice where it becomes necessary to do so.
7. The offer is non-exchangeable, non-transferable, has no cash value/alternative and cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotions or offers.
8. Bupa will use any personal information in accordance with its privacy notice which can be found at bupa.co.uk/privacy
9. To the fullest extent permitted by law, Bupa and its group companies shall not be liable to the SME Client or any of its employees/policy members for any claims, damages or any other losses whatsoever under or in connection with the operation of this promotion.
10. These Terms & Conditions shall be governed by English law and the parties submit to the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.