We understand that dental anxiety can affect many people, but we don’t want it to get in the way of your dental health. We have a number of ways we can help you overcome your anxiety, from relaxation techniques to hypnotherapy treatment.
We specialise in dental anxiety management
If you’re especially nervous about visiting the dentist, we have specially-trained dentists at many of our dental centres who are experienced in treating nervous and phobic patients.
To begin with, you may want to book an appointment just to talk about your anxiety. We can then sit with you away from the dental chair to listen to your concerns and discuss various treatment options. We’ll always move at a comfortable pace for you, and never push you further or faster than you want. There is an additional charge for this service.
You may find treatment easier if you have some form of sedation. Some forms of sedation mean someone will need to come with you to the appointment – the full side effects would be discussed before you had any treatment.
We also have a number of other options to give the help you need, including:
- pain-free injections
- relaxation techniques
- making sure that teeth are completely free of feeling before starting treatment
- desensitisation to the noise of the drill (behaviour modification)
- techniques for distraction eg bringing your own music or e-books
- strategies to help with the negative conversations you have with yourself that can cause anxiety to worsen
- specialist referrals can be made for hypnotherapy treatment by a clinical psychologist if indicated, and our specialist oral surgeons can arrange general anaesthesia if necessary for extractions
- free access to a dental anxiety online programme that combines relaxation techniques and cognitive behavioural therapy with exposure to sights and sounds of a dental surgery
Search our online directory of Bupa dental centres
You can find the nearest of our dental centres in your area, making it easier to choose the most convenient centre for your needs.
Dental finance options
^We may record or monitor our calls.
Bupa Dental Services are provided by Bupa Dental Services Limited. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London, EC2R 7HJ. Registered number: 479557.
Bupa dental insurance and cash plan are provided by Bupa Insurance Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 3956433. Bupa Insurance limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Arranged and administered by Bupa Insurance Services Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England and Wales No. 3829851. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London, EC2R 7HJ.