- Dermatology. Oxford handbook of general practice (online). oxfordmedicine.com, published April 2014
- Melanoma and pigmented lesions. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised March 2017
- Melanoma. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 8 March 2017
- Skin anatomy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 18 July 2015
- Melanocytic nevi. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 6 October 2016
- Skin cancer incidence statistics. www.cancerresearchuk.org, accessed 11 July 2017
- Suspected cancer: recognition and referral. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). www.nice.org.uk, published June 2015
- Melanoma: assessment and management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). www.nice.org.uk, published July 2015
- Map of Medicine. Melanoma. International View. London: Map of Medicine; 2016 (Issue 1).
- Removing your mole (excision biopsy). Cancer Research UK. www.cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed 22 January 2016
- Overview of the lymphatic system. MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision October 2015
- Skin cancers. Oxford handbook of oncology (online). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published September 2015
- Ways to enjoy the sun safely. Cancer Research UK. www.cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed 28 April 2017
- Sunbeds and cancer. Cancer Research UK. www.cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed 24 March 2015
- Melanoma skin cancer – survival. Cancer Research UK.www.cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed 6 July 2016
- Surgery for mole removal. Macmillan Cancer Support. www.macmillan.org.uk, reviewed 30 December 2016
- Skin cancer and evidence. Cancer Research UK. www.cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed 20 April 2017
Reviewed by Pippa Coulter, Specialist Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, September 2017
Expert reviewer, Dr Veronique Bataille, Consultant Dermatologist
Next review due September 2020
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.