- Carers Road Map. Carers Trust. carers.org, last revised March 2017
- Victor E. A systematic review of interventions for carers in the UK: outcomes and explanatory evidence. The Princess Royal Trust for Carers, 2009. carers.org
- Carers: looking after yourself. Alzheimer’s Society. www.alzheimers.org.uk, last reviewed April 2016
- Dementia: supporting people with dementia and their carers in health and social care. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), CG42 2006, last updated September 2016. www.nice.org.uk
- Obesity: maintaining a healthy weight and preventing excess weight gain. NICE pathway. pathways.nice.org.uk, accessed 29 January 2016.
- Start active, stay active. Department of Health, June 2011, updated March 2016. gov.uk
- Sleeping well. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, last updated July 2014
- Cooper C, Balamurali TB, Livingston G. A systematic review of the prevalence and covariates of anxiety in caregivers of people with dementia. Int Psychogeriatr 2007; 19(2):175–95. doi:10.1097/WAD.0000000000000072
- Chien L, Chu H, Guo J, et al. Caregiver support groups in patients with dementia: a meta-analysis. Int J Geriatr Psych 2011; 26(10):1089–98. doi:10.1002/gps.2660
- Paller KA, Creery JD, Florczak SM, et al. Benefits of mindfulness training for patients with progressive cognitive decline and their caregivers. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen 2015; 30(3):257–67. doi:10.1177/1533317514545377
- Vernooij-Dassen M, Draskovic I, McCleery J, et al. Cognitive reframing for carers of people with dementia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, Issue 11. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD005318.pub2
- Support for the family and care providers (providing emotional support). Practical Dementia Care (3rd ed online). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published May 2016
- Admiral nursing: what is an Admiral Nurse? Dementia UK. dementiauk.org, accessed August 2017
Reviewed by Graham Pembrey, Lead Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, September 2017
Expert reviewer, Professor Graham Stokes, Bupa Global Director of Dementia Care
Next review due September 2020
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback or would be interested in sharing your story about dementia, please email us.
About our health information
At Bupa we produce a wealth of free health information for you and your family. We believe that trustworthy information is essential in helping you make better decisions about your health and care. Here are just a few of the ways in which our core editorial principles have been recognised.