- Livingston G, Leavey G, Manela M, et al. Making decisions for people with dementia who lack capacity: qualitative study of family carers in UK. BMJ 2010; 341:c4184. doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.c4184
- What can you expect from a good care home? Care Quality Commission. www.cqc.org.uk, last updated May 2017
- Darton R. Study of Care Home Residents’ and Relatives’ Expectations and Experiences. Registered Nursing Home Association, 2011. www.rnha.co.uk
- Choosing the right care home. Independent Age. www.independentage.org, accessed 18 August 2017
- Finding a care home. Alzheimer's Society. www.alzheimers.org.uk, last updated January 2014
- Care home checklist. Age UK. www.ageuk.org.uk, published April 2016
- Ratings. Care Quality Commission. www.cqc.org.uk, last updated June 2017
- Care homes. Age UK. www.ageuk.org.uk, published July 2015
- Preparing to move into a care home. Dementia UK. www.dementiauk.org, published October 2016
- Personal communication, Professor Graham Stokes, Bupa Global Director of Dementia Care, 22 August 2017
Reviewed by Graham Pembrey, Lead Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, September 2017
Expert reviewer, Professor Graham Stokes, Bupa Global Director of Dementia Care
Next review due September 2020
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short form below will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.
About our health information
At Bupa we produce a wealth of free health information for you and your family. We believe that trustworthy information is essential in helping you make better decisions about your health and care. Here are just a few of the ways in which our core editorial principles have been recognised.