More information about dementia
- Organic illness. Oxford Handbook of Psychiatry (3rd ed. online). Oxford Medicine Online.oxfordmedicine.com, published March 2013
- Alzheimer’s Dementia. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated February 2016
- Psychiatry. Oxford Handbook of Geriatric Medicine (2nd ed. online). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published July 2012
- Henneges C, Reed C, Chen Y, et al. Describing the sequence of cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s disease patients: results from an observational study. J Alzheimer’s Dis 2016; 52(3):1065–1080
- Alzheimer’s disease. Patient Plus. patient.info/patientplus, last updated May 2014
- Carers of people with dementia (Money). Health talk Online. www.healthtalk.org, last updated March 2015
- Dementia. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last updated August 2016
- O'Brien JT, Burns A. Clinical practice with anti-dementia drugs: a revised (second) consensus statement from the British Association for Psychopharmacology. J Psychopharmacol 2011; 25(8):997–1019
- Reminyl tablets. Electronic Medicines Compendium. www.medicines.org.uk/emc, last updated January 2016
- Exelon capsules and solution. Electronic Medicines Compendium. www.medicines.org.uk/emc, last updated December 2015
- Exelon transdermal patch. Electronic Medicines Compendium. www.medicines.org.uk/emc, last updated December 2015
- Memantine hydrochloride. Electronic Medicines Compendium. www.medicines.org.uk/emc, last updated May 2014
Image from Cornelius C, Trovato Salinaro A, Scuto M et al. Cellular stress response, sirtuins and UCP proteins in Alzheimer disease: role of vitagenes. Immun Ageing. 2013 Oct 17;10(1):41. Reproduced under Creative Commons licence.
Produced by Nick Ridgman, Lead Health Editor, Bupa UK Health Content Team, December 2016
Reviewed by Professor Graham Stokes, Bupa Global Director of Dementia Care
Next review due December 2019
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short form below will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.
About our health information
At Bupa we produce a wealth of free health information for you and your family. We believe that trustworthy information is essential in helping you make better decisions about your health and care. Here are just a few of the ways in which our core editorial principles have been recognised.