- Teething. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, reviewed May 2014
- Delivering better oral health: an evidence-based toolkit for prevention. Public Health England. www.gov.uk, published June 2014
- Frequently asked questions. The Center for Pediatric Dentistry. www.thecenterforpediatricdentistry.com, accessed April 2016
- Toothbrush care: cleaning, storing and replacement. American Dental Association. www.ada.org, published November 2011
- Hand A, Frank M. Fundamentals of oral histology and physiology. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons, 2014
- Prevention and management of dental caries in children: Dental clinical guidance. Scottish Dental Clinical Effectiveness programme. www.sdcep.org.uk, published April 2010
- Sugar. The British Dietetic Association. www.bda.uk.com, reviewed October 2015
- Nutrition in gastrointestinal disease. Oxford handbook of nutrition and dietetics (online). Oxford Medicine Online. www.oxfordmedicine.com, published January 2012
- Micronutrients. Oxford handbook of nutrition and dietetics. Oxford Medicines (online). www.oxfordmedicines.com, published January 2012
- Dental checks: intervals between oral health reviews. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), October 2004. www.nice.org.uk
- Koch G, Poulsen S. Paediatric dentistry: A clinical approach. 2nd ed. Copenhagen: Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2009
- Borrie F, Bearn D, Innes N, et al. Interventions for the cessation of non-nutritive sucking habits in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD008694. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD008694.pub2.
- Common behavioural problems in children. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, reviewed March 2016
- Colak H, Dulgergil C, Dalli M, et al. Early childhood caries update: A review of causes, diagnosis and treatments. J Nat Sci Biol Med. 2013; 4(1) 29–38. doi: 10.4103/0976-9668.107257
- Infants and preschool children. Oxford handbook of nutrition and dietetics (online). Oxford Medicines Online. www.oxfordmedicines.com, published January 2012
- Dr Steve Preddy, Bupa Dental Clinical Director, April 2016
Reviewed by Laura Blanks, Specialist Health Editor – Quality, Bupa Health Content Team, April 2016.
Expert reviewer, Dr Steve Preddy, Bupa Dental Clinical Director
Next review due, April 2019
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.