Mental Health Foundation
The Mental Health Foundation is a charity that carries out research and offers information about many areas of mental health. As well as general information about schizophrenia, this article touches on the campaigning work the organisation is doing. There are links to their manifesto to help make mental health research a priority and also to information about self-management programmes.
The charity Mind has information to support people with a mental health condition and those who care for them. Their comprehensive content on schizophrenia includes plenty about the wider support services and programmes on offer to people with the condition.
This charity has support groups, runs campaigns and can direct you to local mental health services, as well as providing information. You can download their factsheet that has details of the different types of schizophrenia and dispels some of the myths around the condition.
- Mental Health Foundation
- Schizophrenia. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 7 March 2016
- Psychosis and schizophrenia. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised February 2015
- Psychosis and schizophrenia in adults: treatment and management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), February 2014. www.nice.org.uk
- Antipsychotic drugs. NICE British National Formulary. www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current, accessed 4 April 2017
- Schizophrenia and related psychoses. Oxford handbook of psychiatry (online). Oxford Medicine Online. www.oxfordmedicine.com, March 2013
- Map of Medicine. Schizophrenia and Psychosis. International View. London: Map of Medicine; 2015 (Issue 3)
- Management of schizophrenia (SIGN 131). Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. www.sign.ac.uk, 2013
- Schizophrenia. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, published August 2015
- Antipsychotics. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, published January 2014
- What is schizophrenia. Camh Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. www.camh.ca, accessed 4 May 2017
- Schizophrenia: what can friends and family do to help? MIND. www.mind.org.uk, published February 2017
- Sectioning. Mind. www.mind.org.uk, published January 2015
- Rethink Mental Illness. www.rethink.org, last updated April 2017
- Nearest relative. Rethink Mental Illness. www.rethink.org, last reviewed February 2016
- Depression. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, published June 2015
- Driving and mental illness. Rethink Mental Illness. www.rethink.org, last updated October 2015
- Schizophrenia. National Institute of Mental Health. www.nimh.nih.gov, accessed 5 April 2017
- Psychiatric disorders: assessing fitness to drive. GOV.UK. www.gov.uk, first published 11 March 2016
- Schizophrenia and driving. GOV.UK. www.gov.uk, last updated March 2017
Reviewed by Dr Kristina Routh, Freelance Health Editor, April 2017
Expert reviewer Dr Rahul Bhattacharya, Consultant Psychiatrist
Next review due April 2020
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.