- Seasonal affective disorder. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, reviewed 12 September 2013
- Mental health. Oxford Handbook of General Practice (online). Oxford Medicine Online. www.oxfordmedicine.com, published April 2014
- Seasonal affective disorder. BMJ Best Practice. www.bestpractice.bmj.com, reviewed 30 March 2015
- Kurlansik S, Ibay A. Seasonal Affective Disorder. Am Fam Physician 2012; 86:1037–41
- Depression treatment and management: Bright-light therapy. Medscape. www.emedicine.medscape.com, reviewed 21 July 2015
- Seasonal affective disorder. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, accessed 4 November 2015
- Depressive illness. Oxford Handbook of Psychiatry (online). www.oxfordmedicine.com, published March 2013
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, accessed 4 November 2015
- Cognitive and Behavioural Therapies. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, reviewed 2 April 2014
- Gupta A, Sharma PK, Garg VK, et al. Role of serotonin in seasonal affective disorder. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2013; 17(1): 49–55.
- Depression in adults: recognition and management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), October 2009. www.nice.org.uk
- Depression. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, published October 2015
Produced by Clare Foster, freelance health editor, and Nick Ridgman, Head of Health Content, Bupa UK, September 2017
Next review due September 2020
Bupa UK expert reviewers:
- Naomi Humber, Psychology Services Manager, EAP
- Stuart Haydock, Resilience Lead, Health Clinics
- Sarah Deedat, Head of Behaviour Change
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.