Whilst the country moves out of the period of lockdown and face to face health services become more readily available, we understand that some of our customers will still be concerned about accessing them in person.
No one should have to consider putting off a health concern for this reason, which is why we continue to expand our remote health service offering to ensure that our customers can access the services they need, when they need them, without worry.
We understand that finding a mole or skin lesion that doesn’t look right can be worrying, and customers will want to get it checked as quickly as possible.
With over 16,000 new cases every year, Melanoma Skin Cancer is the 5th most common cancer in the UK and we know that early diagnosis saves lives.
That’s why we’ve developed our Remote Skin Assessment Service, for fast detection of skin cancer from the comfort of a customer’s own home, without the need for a GP referral.
This service is available nationwide and customers will get their results back within three working days, from the time they register.
That’s, on average, three times faster than seeing a dermatologist in person.
How it works
*Next working day delivery guaranteed if registered before 2pm.
- 1. If customers are worried about a mole or skin lesion, they can call our Cancer Direct Access team where they will be offered the Remote Skin Assessment, if it’s appropriate for their case.
- 2. The customer will be sent a link by text or email to register for the service, where they will also be asked to answer a few questions about their medical history to help the dermatologist with their assessment.
- 3. After registering, the customer will receive their kit in as little as one working day*. This kit will include a dermatoscopic lens and a smart phone so they can take high resolution photos of up to 3 moles or skin lesions.
A dermatoscopic lens is a magnifying lens, which captures high quality images that help the dermatologist make an accurate assessment of the customer’s moles or skin lesions. This clips on to the back of the smartphone in their kit.
- 4. Once the customer has uploaded their images to the secure app on the phone, a dermatologist will review them alongside their medical history. If their result is nothing to worry about, they will be sent a link to their report within 24 hours.
- 5. If further investigation is needed, they will receive a call to discuss their next steps. Bupa will also be made aware that the customer needs an onward referral, so we can help them with this.
Possible cancer symptoms should never be ignored or put off, and with remote access to health services more important than ever, we’re please that we can now offer this remote option for skin assessments to Bupa customers.**
If your customer has a mole or skin lesion that doesn’t look right, they can call our Cancer Direct Access line today, on 0800 012 1305^.
If you have any questions about this or any of our other remote services, please contact your Bupa account manager.
Remote skin assessment services are provided by Skin Analytics. Please ensure customers are aware that when they opt to use the service that Skin Analytics is a third party that is responsible for managing the service and their data.
**Subject to your policy’s benefits and limitations. Pre-existing conditions are usually not covered. To find out more, search “Remote Skin Assessment Service” on Bupa.co.uk, or call our Cancer Direct Access Line.
^Lines are open 8am – 8pm Monday to Friday and 8am – 4pm Saturday. We may record or monitor our calls.