Notes to editor
Further information about babylon can be found at http://www.babylonhealth.com/
- Video consultations – babylon provides video consultations with experienced, GMC registered, UK based GP’s and when a referral is provided, with specialist consultants.
- ASK – babylon have doctors and nurses available to provide fast response answers to text and photo based health questions.
- Pharmacy services – If a prescription is required, babylon can send it to your home or pharmacy of your choice.
- Monitor – babylon have a comprehensive dashboard of healthcare statistics which can provide the user and their clinicians with a holistic picture of their health. Wearables, apps and healthcare kits can be synced to the dashboard. Alternatively data can be manually added.
- Tests and Kits – Members can purchase healthcare kits and technology from Babylon in their e-shop
Benefits to employees
- Appointments can be arranged around busy working schedules, with longer opening hours than traditional GP’s (8am-8pm Monday to Saturday).
- babylon enables people to phone, video-call or message GPs.
- babylon works with a network of pharmacies, allowing employees to collect prescriptions near to home, or have them delivered to wherever they are.
- babylon has a range of healthcare specialists, so there is no need to visit a hospital for many conditions.
- Everything can be managed on one app:
- Arranging and booking appointments
- Prescriptions, medical records, and consultation videos.
- Connecting to other health and wellbeing apps to monitor health and share with the doctor
- As a Bupa member, if you see a babylon specialist rather than a consultant in an outpatient facility, your outpatient benefits will reduce by a standard £49 per consultation. This is lower than costs for face to face consultations.
Benefits to businesses
- Employees do not need health insurance to use babylon, meaning it can be offered to more of the workforce as a low-cost benefit.
- It enables businesses to provide health and wellbeing benefits to the whole workforce at a more manageable cost.
- babylon demonstrates the value businesses place on their people’s health and wellbeing, providing them with easy access to health information and clinicians.
- As employees can access healthcare from the office at more flexible times, babylon can help reduce absenteeism and increase productivity.
- All babylon consultants are Bupa plan and fee-assured by Bupa UK, meaning there won’t be any shortfalls.
- There is no limit on appointments each year.
About the research
- Support from employer - OnePoll survey of 1,000 employed adults in the UK between December 2014 and January 2015.
- Digital demand – Figures from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2,011 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken between 25 - 26 March 2015. The survey was carried out online. The figures have been weighted and are representative of all GB adults (aged 18+).
babylon is a personal health service aiming to make healthcare more accessible and affordable to people around the world, by combining the best technology with the best clinicial expertise. For example, the ‘Consult’ service connects patients to the best GPs and medical specialists within minutes, available twelve hours per day, six days a week, all in one easy-to-use app. babylon patients can also use its first-class technology to take an active approach to managing their health, using features including the text-powered ‘Ask’ function, right up to its medical monitoring functions.
The company was launched in 2014 by CEO Dr Ali Parsa. babylon is fully registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC). All babylon doctors are carefully selected and registered with the General Medical Council (GMC).
Bupa's purpose is helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
We have 15.5 million health insurance customers, provide healthcare to around 14.5 million people in our clinics and hospitals, and look after over 23,300 aged care residents.
We employ over 78,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, Chile, New Zealand, Hong Kong, the USA, Brazil, the Middle East and Ireland, and many more through our associate businesses in Saudi Arabia and India.
Health insurance is around 70% of our business. In a number of countries, we also run clinics, dental centres, hospitals and care homes and villages.
For more information, visit www.bupa.com
Contact Bupa Press Office
If you're a journalist and would like to find out more about any of our activity, or request a comment from one of our spokespeople, please contact the Bupa Press Office via one of the below