The confidentiality of your information is of paramount concern to Bupa and its group companies. To this end, we comply with all data protection legislation, including the Data Protection Act 1998 (“DPA”) and all medical confidentiality guidelines.
Any other data which we collect that cannot be used to personally identify you will only be used to help us make improvements to the site and our customer offering.
(1) You may decide to submit personal information to Bupa, by completing a ‘contact us’ form or by contacting us through email, telephone, social media or blog replies. We may add this information to a database so that we can identify you and manage our relationship with you as a Bupa customer. We also use this information to update and improve the accuracy of our records and for those other purposes set out in this policy. The type of information we collect and would refer to as ‘personal information’ or ‘personal data’ includes any information that may identify you as an individual, such as your name and address, as personal data or personal information.
For example, we may collect the following personal information:
- name and job title
- age and date of birth
- contact information including email address
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
Sometimes you may decide to submit personal information which is of a more private nature, which we refer to as sensitive personal information. This sort of information would be required, for example, so that we can generate a product quote or perhaps to deal with your questions, or administer your policy with us.
We may collect the following sensitive personal information if you share it with us and if we believe the processing of this information is necessary:
- your ethnic origin
- condition of your physical or mental health
- employment information if you are applying for a job
- lifestyle information
What do we do with the personal information we gather? What do we do with the personal information we gather?We require this information to understand the needs of our visitors and people who contact us in order to provide a better service. In particular, but not limited to, we require it for the following reasons:
- internal record keeping and administration
- providing and improving our products and services
- periodically sending promotional material about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting, using the email address or other contact details that you have provided
- using the information to customise the website according to your interests
- responding to requests where we have a legal or regulatory obligation to do so
In addition, depending on how your scheme or service is funded or introduced, we may share information with your employer or an appointed intermediary, as applicable. This is solely for product or service administration purposes. We may also share the financial amounts claimed together with the names of the individuals who have claimed under a scheme funded by your employer if your employer requests this. This might occur, for example, where your employer wishes to discuss with you what other support they can offer you or your family while someone is receiving or recovering from treatment. However, we won’t share the details of your health condition, illness, injury or treatment with your employer without your permission.
What do we do with the sensitive personal information we gather? What do we do with the sensitive personal information we gather?In addition to personal information, we may require sensitive information in order to:
- provide you with quotes or other services you request
- to approve or allow you to purchase various products
- to administer and maintain your scheme with us
- to process a job application
We may hold personal information for as long as it is necessary to do so, having regard to the purposes for which it was collected and for how it might be further processed. Non-personally identifiable information may be held for as long as it is necessary to monitor aggregated statistics about use of our site and exposure to our brand. Please see the ‘Controlling your personal information’ section below for information about data deletion.
We are committed to ensuring that your personal information is secure. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have installed physical, electronic and operational procedures intended to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Bupa sometimes uses third parties to process data on its behalf, for example in the fulfilment of orders, processing of payment details or the provision of support services. Such processing, which may include personal information being transferred to and stored at a destination outside of the European Economic Area, is subject to contractual restrictions with regard to confidentiality and security, in addition to the obligations imposed by the DPA. Further details on the third parties that we may share your personal information with is available in the ’Controlling your personal information’ section below.
If the URL of a web page starts with HTTPS, or you see a locked/green padlock symbol, your data should be encrypted when it is sent from your computer to our server. However, we cannot ensure the security of your data when it is being transmitted to our website or other digital sites from other pages. All transmission of personal information and other data is done at your own risk.
Information submitted to Bupa through this website is normally unprotected until it reaches us. In addition, users are also requested not to send confidential details or credit card numbers, for example, by email.
Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, use the check box to indicate your preferences and/or do not provide the relevant information. However if you do not provide all or correct information which we may request, we may not be able to provide you with the relevant quotation and/or services.
If you have indicated your consent for us to do so, we may, on occasion, keep you informed of the Bupa and its group’s products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. If at any time you no longer wish to receive information about our products and services, or have any other Data Protection queries, write to: Bupa UK Information Governance Team, 4 Pine Trees, Chertsey Lane, Staines-upon-Thames, TW18 3DZ or send an email to email@example.com
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to parties for any other organisations to use for their own purposes unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. However, you agree that:
- We may share your personal information with any member of our group. This means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006
- We may share your information with selected third parties including (but not limited to)
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into and/or in order to provide you with the information and/or services requested via the website. Advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We never disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users. We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal information we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers' wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site
- Credit reference agencies for the purpose of assessing your credit score where this is a condition of us entering into a contract with you
- In addition, we may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we (or any member(s) of our group) sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assetsIf either we or any member of our group (or substantially all of our or its assets) are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers or visitors to the website may be one of the transferred assets