Last reviewed August 2017.
We have created some terms and conditions “Terms” that set out the terms for your use of Bupa’s UK social media community, which currently includes comments and uploads on Bupa.co.uk, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn, Instagram and Pinterest (the “Community”).
Please read the Terms carefully, as they provide information about using the Community in a way that is respectful and lawful. By using, or submitting material to the Community you agree that you have read, understood, accept, and agree to abide by these Terms.
The terms, conditions and policies that apply to specific social networks, such as Facebook or Twitter, also apply to the Bupa profiles they host. We recommend that you familiarise yourself with those terms and conditions before participating in the relevant part of the Community and we disclaim any liability associated with your use of those services, or for your failure to view or comply with their terms, conditions and policies. Where there is a conflict between these Terms and the terms and conditions of the relevant social media channels, the social media channels’ terms and conditions will prevail to the extent that they relate to Bupa's profile on the relevant social media channel.
We aim to create dialogue with users of our Community and encourage you to share content via the Community in accordance with these Terms (your “Contribution”). To help us do that, we try to monitor the Community during normal UK business hours (9am-5pm GMT, Monday to Friday, excluding UK public holidays). We will try to check that all submissions to the Community comply with our acceptable use standards described below (“Acceptable Use Standards”) as soon as reasonably practicable after publication.
We cannot guarantee that all Contributions will be published nor how quickly.
If in our opinion an individual makes use of the Community in breach of these, we reserve the right to remove, or to disable access to, any Contribution, and to terminate, suspend or change the conditions of their access to the Community without prior warning. We also reserve the right to bring legal proceedings against any individual for a breach of the Terms , or take such other action as we reasonably deem appropriate. We exclude our liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of these Terms.
We expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of the Community by any person in contravention of these Terms.
While we try to moderate the Community, we are not legally responsible for any material posted by third parties and we may stop, or suspend, moderating the Community at any time.
- "The views and/or opinions expressed by any individual within the Community are those of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views of Bupa.
- Any medical advice or information posted to the Community should not be regarded as advice on which any reliance should be placed. We therefore disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such materials by a user of the Community, or by anyone who may be informed of any of its contents. You must always seek medical advice from your doctor or a suitably qualified medical professional.
- Any advice or information posted to the Community should not be accepted as true or correct. It is up to individual users to check the validity of any advice or information before relying on it, especially where the consequences of following it could be serious.
- Sometimes Bupa automatically follows back users which follow Bupa profiles within the Community. A follow back does not constitute an endorsement; the same applies to re-tweeting or sharing messages posted on accounts that Bupa does not own, or marking them as “favourites”, or otherwise sharing information on a different platform.
The Community is intended for use by individuals aged 13 years or older. Minors must get permission from their parent or guardian before using the Community. We recommend that parents who allow their children to use the Community discuss online safety with their children first and that parents endeavour to monitor any use of the Community.
Minors should also be given guidance on how to use the Community safely and in a way that complies with these Terms.
Acceptable use standards
We want to create an open, caring and respectful Community. To help us do this, you agree that your use of the Community and your Contributions must:
- be accurate and genuinely believed by you
- avoid quoting out of context and include a credit for any original author as the source of material
- comply with all applicable domestic, foreign and international laws that govern the content which makes up the Contribution
- be defamatory, unlawful, obscene, offensive, hateful, abusive, inflammatory, threatening, invasive of anyone’s privacy, or otherwise objectionable
- promote discrimination on grounds of race, sex, nationality, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation, being a transsexual person, or age
- infringe any intellectual property rights including, but not limited to, copyright, design right, database right, patents, trade mark, moral or performer’s right, or any other third party right
- be likely to harass, upset, alarm or cause distress to any other person
- contain an instruction, advice, or content that could cause harm or injury to individuals or to computers or systems
- encourage anyone to commit or assist any unlawful or criminal act or condone any unlawful or criminal act
- give the impression that the Contribution emanates from Bupa (or any of its group companies) if this is not the case, or impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person
- contain any advertising
- disclose the name, address, telephone, mobile or fax number, e-mail address or any other personal data in respect of any other individual
- breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence
You also agree that your use of the Community and Contributions will not:
Whenever you upload material to the Community, or make contact with other users of the Community, please comply with our Acceptable Use Standards. You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you indemnify us for any breach of that warranty (which means that you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of the relevant breach).
We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any material posted or uploaded by you to our site is defamatory of them, a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials posted by you or any other user of our Site and/or Community.
By submitting a Contribution to the Community, you agree to grant Bupa a non-exclusive perpetual licence to use that Contribution for any purpose and to waive your moral rights in or in relation to that Contribution. Although you will still own your copyright in your Contribution, Bupa will have the right to freely use, edit, alter, reproduce, publish, disclose and/or distribute the material contained in your Contribution in any format and media and for any purpose. This licence will be free of charge, perpetual and capable of sub-licence. Bupa may exercise all copyright and publicity rights in the material contained in your Contribution in all jurisdictions, to their full extent and for the full period for which any such rights exist in that material. We reserve the right to display advertisements in connection with your Contribution.
Please also note that, in accordance with the Acceptable Use Standards, you must ensure that your Contribution does not infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person. By submitting your Contribution to the Community, you are warranting that you have the right to grant Bupa the non-exclusive copyright licence described above.
If you are not in a position to grant such a licence to Bupa, please do not submit the Contribution to the Community.
Before making a Contribution you may be required to register with the Community, for example by completing a registration form. In some cases your name, or other personal details, will appear as part of your Contribution when published. If you are required to submit personal data directly to Bupa during any registration process, such data will only be used for administration and monitoring purposes and will only be shared with third parties if we notified you of our intention or we are legally obliged to do so.
If you wish to complain about any Contribution posted to the Community, please contact us on Twitter @AskBupaUK or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. When you submit a complaint, please (1) outline the reason for your complaint, and (2) specify where the Contribution you are complaining about is located.
We may request further information from you about any complaint in relation to any Contribution before we process it. We will then review the relevant Contribution and decide whether it complies with our Acceptable Use Standards. We will deal with any Contribution which, in our opinion, violates our Acceptable Use Standards as described above (see section " Monitoring) We will inform you of the outcome of our review within a reasonable time of receiving your complaint.
Changes to these Terms
We may revise these Terms at any time. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you and will apply to you from the date the change was made. You agree to accept and comply with any changes to the Terms if you use the Community after the change is made.
Governing law and jurisdiction
These Terms are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with English law and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales to settle any dispute or claim that arises out of or in connection with these Terms, their subject matter or formation.
If any part of these Terms is deemed unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable then that part will be deemed severable and will not affect the validity and enforceability of the remaining parts.
Bupa health insurance is provided by Bupa Insurance Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 3956433. Bupa Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Arranged and administered by Bupa Insurance Services Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England and Wales No. 3829851. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London, EC2R 7HJ.