- Caries. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, reviewed October 2014
- Dental decay. Oral Health Foundation. www.dentalhealth.org, accessed 16 May 2016
- Hollins C. Levison's textbook for dental nurses. 11th ed. Wiley-Blackwell: Chichester, 2013
- Edwards P. Recognition and management of common acute conditions of the oral cavity resulting from tooth decay, periodontal disease, and trauma: an update for the family physician. J Am Board Fam Med. 2010; 23(3):285–94
- Some Dental and Periodontal Diseases. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked July 2014
- Nutrition in gastrointestinal diseases. Oxford Handbook of Nutrition and Dietetics (2nd ed, online). Oxford Medicine Online, published January 2012
- Gingivitis. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last reviewed November 2015
- Periodontitis. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last reviewed November 2015
- Gingivitis. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated December 2014
- Gingivitis and periodontitis. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, revised August 2012
- Gingivitis. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, updated November 2015
- Diagnosis, prevention and management of dental erosion. Royal College of Surgeons of England Faculty of Dental Surgery, 2013
- Caring for my teeth. Oral health foundation. www.dentalhealth.org, accessed 7 June 2016
- Yaacob M, Worthington H, Deacon S, et al. Powered versus manual toothbrushing for oral health. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 6. Art. No.: CD002281. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002281.pub3
- Halitosis. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, revised November 2014
- Halitosis. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, reviewed May 2014
- Nutrition and dental health: Guidelines for professionals. Health Promotion Agency for Northern Ireland. Revised 2008
- The prevention of oral disease (4th ed). Oxford: OUP, 2003
- Preventing excess weight gain. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), March 2015
- Type 2 diabetes prevention: population and community-level interventions. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), May 2011
- Sugar. British Dietetic Association. www.bda.uk.com, updated October 2015
- Dental checks: intervals between oral health reviews. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), October 2004
- Halitosis. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, updated March 2016
- Chlorhexidine gluconate – Side-effects. British National Formulary. www.evidence.nhs.uk, accessed June 2016
Reviewed by Nick Ridgman, Lead Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, July 2016.
Expert reviewer, Dr Steven Preddy, Dental Clinical Director, Bupa UK.
Next review due July 2019.
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.