1. Virgin pina colada
This is a great summer party drink option, that’s an easy mocktail formula to follow and will add a bit of sunshine to your day. Ingredients include pineapple juice, coconut milk and mock rum syrup.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 150ml (5.28 floz) pineapple juice
- 50ml (1.76 floz) coconut milk
- 25ml (0.88 floz) lime juice
- Handful of ice
- Tinned cherry to garnish (optional)
For the mock rum syrup:
- 100g (3.53oz) dark brown muscovado sugar
- 1 pineapple, plus a few strips of skin and leaves to garnish
- 5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns
- Start by making the mock rum syrup. Add the brown muscovado sugar and 200ml water to a saucepan, and heat gently until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon stick and a few strips of pineapple skin.
- Bring the mix to the boil, then turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- When cooled, strain into a jug and leave in the fridge.
- Next, pour the pineapple juice into a tall glass, and add the lime juice and coconut milk.
- Still gently and fill the glass to the top with a handful of ice.
- Slowly add 25ml of the syrup so it sinks to the bottom.
- Garnish with pineapple leaves and your tinned cherry.
2. Raspberry cordial
With lots of fruity goodness this easy-to-make raspberry infused mocktail recipe is a tasty option for all seasons, and tastes delicious with soda on ice.
Ingredients (makes 700ml / 14 standard drinks)
- 500g (17.6oz) fresh or frozen raspberries
- 500g (17.6oz) caster sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Soda and ice to serve
- Add the raspberries to a pan with the vinegar and sugar.
- Mash over a low heat for 10 minutes until syrupy and smooth.
- Rub the mix through a sieve into another pan.
- Tip the seeds from the sieve into a bowl and stir in 300ml of water.
- Then sieve again to separate the remaining pulp from the seeds.
- Pour the liquid into the pan with the sieved pulp, stir well and boil for 1 minute.
- Add the soda and ice to serve, or seal in small sterilised bottle until needed.
3. Cheat’s ginger beer
This refreshing mocktail is the perfect alcohol-free choice to enjoy, especially if you like a bit of spice. Only four ingredients are needed to make it.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 chopped lemon
- 100g (3.5oz) ginger, roughly chopped
- 100g (3.5oz) light muscovado sugar
- 1-litre (1.76 pints) chilled lemonade /sparkling water to serve
- Add the lemon and ginger to a bowl.
- Pour over 300ml water and blitz with a hand blender until very smooth.
- Strain through a sieve into a bowl, then press the pulp to remove as much liquid as you can.
- Add the sugar to the bowl and blitz again.
- Pour mix into a bottle and chill until ready to use.
- Add the sparkling water or lemonade to dilute before serving.
If these don’t sound appealing there are lots of other alcoholic-free recipes online that you can try. You can also find out about the benefits of alcohol-free alternatives and how to make them extra special.