Why is it important to think about our mental health?
Highly Commended in Wellbeing in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards
- National Study of Health and Wellbeing (APMS). NHS Digital. 2016. http://content.digital.nhs.uk
- Workplace health: long term sickness absence and incapacity to work. Public health guidance (PH19). NICE. March 2009. www.nice.org.uk
- Stress: management standards. Health and Safety Executive. www.hse.gov.uk. Reviewed March 2017.
- Five ways to wellbeing. New Economics Foundation. 2008.
- Jenkins R, Meltzer H, Jones PB et al. (2008) Foresight Mental Capital and Wellbeing Project. Mental health: Future challenges. The Government Office for Science, London.
- Harvey SB, Modini M, Joyce S, et al. Can work make you mentally ill? A systematic meta-review of work-related risk factors for common mental health problems Occup Environ Med 2017;74:301-310.
- Added value: mental health as a workplace asset. Mental Health Foundation, Oxford Economics, Unum. 2016. www.mentalhealth.org.uk
- Tan L, Wang M, Modini M, et al. Preventing the development of depression at work: a systematic review and meta-analysis of universal interventions in the workplace. BMC Medicine 2014, 12:74 doi:10.1186/1741-7015-12-74
- Stigma shout: service user and carer experiences of stigma and discrimination. Time To Change. 2008. www.time-to-change.org.uk
- Healthy workplaces: improving employee mental and physical health and wellbeing Quality standard [QS147]. NICE guidance. Published date: March 2017 www.nice.org.uk
- Henderson M, Harvey S, Øverland S et al. Work and common psychiatric disorders. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 2011;104(5):198-207. doi:10.1258/jrsm.2011.100231
- de Graaf R, Tuithof M, van Dorsselaer S. et al. Comparing the effects on work performance of mental and physical disorders. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol (2012) 47: 1873. doi:10.1007/s00127-012-0496-7
- Mental health at work: developing the business case. Policy paper 8. Sainsbury Centre for Mental Health (2007) www.mentalhealthpromotion.net
Produced by Clare Foster, freelance health editor, and Nick Ridgman, Head of Health Content, Bupa UK, September 2017
Next review due September 2020
Bupa UK expert reviewers:
- Naomi Humber, Psychology Services Manager, EAP
- Stuart Haydock, Resilience Lead, Health Clinics
- Sarah Deedat, Head of Behaviour Change
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short form below will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.