- Total knee arthroplasty. Medscape. www.emedicine.medscape.com, published 31 March 2014
- Knee joint replacements. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus.asp, published 29 August 2014
- Map of Medicine. Elective knee surgery. International View. London: Map of Medicine; 2015 (Issue 2)
- Knee replacement surgery. Arthritis Research UK, June 2015. www.arthritisresearchuk.org
- Preparing for joint replacement surgery. OrthoInfo. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. www.orthoinfo.aaos.org, published June 2014
- Total knee replacement. OrthoInfo. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. www.orthoinfo.aaos.org, reviewed August 2015
- Activities after knee replacement. OrthoInfo. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. www.orthoinfo.aaos.org, reviewed July 2014
- Knee replacement implants. OrthoInfo. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. www.orthoinfo.aaos.org, published September 2010
- Get well soon: Helping you make a speedy recovery after total knee replacement. Royal College of Surgeons of England. www.rcseng.ac.uk, accessed 1 September 2015
- Harvey L, Brosseau L, Herbert R. Continuous passive motion following total knee arthroplasty in people with arthritis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 2. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD004260.pub3.
- Public and patient guide to the NJR’s 11th annual report 2014. National Joint Registry. www.njrcentre.org.uk
- Surgery and arthritis. Arthritis Care, 2013. www.arthritiscare.org.uk
- Liddle A, Judge A, Pandit H, et al. Adverse outcomes after total and unicompartmental knee replacement in 101 330 matched patients: a study of data from the National Joint Registry for England and Wales. Lancet 2014; 384:1437–45 doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60419-0
- Anaesthetic choices for hip or knee replacement. The Royal College of Anaesthetists, 2014. www.rcoa.ac.uk
- Knee replacement. National Institute on Aging. National Institutes of Health. www.nihseniorhealth.gov, reviewed August 2014
- Scottish arthroplasty project: biennial report 2012. Information Services Division Scotland 2012. www.isdscotland.org.
- Labraca N, Castro-Sanchez A, Mataran-Penarrocha G, et al. Benefits of starting rehabilitation within 24 hours of primary total knee arthroplasty: randomized clinical trial. Clin Rehabil 2011; 25(6):557–66. doi:10.1177/0269215510393759
- Security scanners – are airport security scanners safe? Civil Aviation Authority. www.caa.co.uk, accessed 3 September 2015
Reviewed by Dylan Merkett, Health Information Team, March 2016
Expert reviewer, Mr Roger Tillman, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Next review due March 2019
About our health information
At Bupa we produce a wealth of free health information for you and your family. We believe that trustworthy information is essential in helping you make better decisions about your health and care. Here are just a few of the ways in which our core editorial principles have been recognised.