Worried about your heart health?
Get a picture of your current health and potential future health risks with one of our health assessments.
To book or to make an enquiry, call us on 0333 920 7695∧
The pain from deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is often a throbbing pain. This may feel worse when you walk or bear weight on your leg. You may also have other symptoms – like swelling and tenderness. Read our symptoms section above for more information.
Signs of a blood clot can include swelling, pain and tenderness in your leg. But sometimes you may only be aware of a blood clot if it causes a pulmonary embolism. This can cause chest pain and difficulty breathing. Seek urgent medical help if you have these symptoms. See our sections on symptoms and complications above for more information.
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is where a blood clot forms in one of your deep veins. It usually happens in one of the large veins in your leg. You can also get DVT in your pelvis, your arm or your abdomen (tummy).
Your risk of having a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is increased if you’ve already had one. This is particularly true if you have ongoing factors that increase your risk of DVT – for example, having a medical condition or continuing to smoke. If you developed DVT after an injury or operation, your chances of having another one may be less.
Did our Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Deep vein thrombosis. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised February 2022
- Pulmonary embolism. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised February 2022
- Deep venous thrombosis (DVT). Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 5 June 2019
- Deep vein thrombosis. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 16 February 2022
- Deep vein thrombosis. Patient. patient.info/doctor, last edited 27 May 2020
- DVT prevention for travellers. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised August 2018
- Oral anticoagulants. NICE British National Formulary (BNF). bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated 25 February 2022
- Venous thromboembolic diseases: diagnosis, management and thrombophilia testing. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 26 March 2020. www.nice.org.uk
- Anticoagulant – oral. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised August 2021
- Interactions. Warfarin. NICE British National Formulary (BNF). bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated 25 February 2022
- Compression stockings. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised September 2018
- Kahn SR. The post-thrombotic syndrome. Hematology. Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2016; (1):413–18. doi:10.1182/asheducation-2016.1.413
- Venous thromboembolism in over-16s: reducing the risk of hospital-acquired deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). www.nice.org.uk, last updated 13 August 2019
- Principles of surgery. Oxford Handbook of Clinical Surgery. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published November 2021
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) prevention. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision February 2021