Festive paper star decorations
These colourful paper stars are quick and easy to make. They’re also a great activity to do with children over the festive break. To get started follow the video instructions above, or these steps.
What you need: To make festive paper stars you’ll need A4 coloured paper, A4 magazine paper, scissors, glue, tape and some thread or string.
- Fold and cut your coloured paper into a square. Then fold it in half, unfold and then fold in half in the other direction. Then open the paper out flat again.
- Next, fold your coloured paper on the diagonal in both directions. Then open it out flat again. The folds criss-crossing the paper should divide into eight.
- Get your scissors and make a cut in the middle of each side, almost halfway to the centre of the square.
- Carefully fold in the straight sides to meet the diagonal folds, as shown in the video.
- Add glue to one of the triangular flaps and stick the opposite flap directly on top of it. This will create a 3D point. Then repeat to make four points.
- Now repeat the above steps to create a second star using a coloured sheet of magazine paper.
- Tape some string to the inside of one of the stars. Stick the two paper stars together by adding some glue, as shown in the video. Leave your star to dry before hanging up.
Christmas salt dough ornaments
Making salt dough ornaments is another great crafting activity to do at home. These cinnamon-infused salt ornaments make great Christmas tree decorations that will last for years! They’re also a more sustainable alternative to plastic baubles or buying new decorations in plastic packaging.
Chances are, you’ll already have all the ingredients and tools you need to make them too.