What does health insurance cover?
We’ve put together a checklist of what’s usually covered by private health insurance, and what might be excluded, so you can choose the best health insurance for you.
Questions to ask when comparing health insurance cover
1. How quickly can you get seen by a private consultant?
2. Will you need to see your GP first?
3. Does the insurance provider offer access to a GP who can refer you more quickly if you need specialist help?
4. Are there limits to the amount of cover you can claim each year?
5. Does the provider offer ongoing treatment for mental health issues?
6. Will you get a discount on cover if you insure your family?
The best health insurance plans will make it really clear what is and isn’t included in your cover.
Most policies don’t cover:
- Emergency treatment
- Maternity care
- Treatment for pre-existing conditions
- Treatment for long term, or chronic conditions like arthritis or diabetes
Learn more about health insurance exclusions.
What does Bupa cover?
Bupa health insurance covers all the things we’ve discussed above but there are also some things we do a bit differently.
Bupa health insurance is provided by Bupa Insurance Limited. Registered in England and Wales No. 3956433. Bupa Insurance Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Arranged and administered by Bupa Insurance Services Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Registered in England and Wales No. 3829851. Registered office: 1 Angel Court, London, EC2R 7HJ.