- Otitis media – acute. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised July 2015
- Otitis media. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 6 June 2016
- Acute otitis media. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 5 October 2016
- Acute otitis media in children. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 7 January 2016
- Otitis media with effusion. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 2 February 2016
- Mastoiditis. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 17 August 2015
- Middle ear conditions. Action on Hearing Loss. www.actionhearingloss.org.uk, 2012
- Glue ear. Action on Hearing Loss. www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk, published June 2016
- Sexton S and Natale R. Risks and benefits of pacifiers. Am Fam Physician 2009; 79(8):681–85
- Bowatte G, Tham R, Allen, K, et al. Breastfeeding and childhood acute otitis media: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acta Paediatr 2015; 104:85–95. doi:10.1111/apa.13151
- Perforated eardrum. American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. www.entnet.org, accessed 1 December 2016
Reviewed by Dr Kristina Routh, Freelance Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, November 2016.
Expert reviewer, Mr Anil Banerjee, Ear, Nose and Throat Consultant
Next review due January 2020
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.