Looking for physiotherapy?
You can access a range of treatments on a pay as you go basis, including physiotherapy.
To book or to make an enquiry, call us on 0370 218 6528∧
Some exercises may help your hand to recover more quickly. But it’s best to be guided by your surgeon or physiotherapist and what feels right for you. Overdoing exercises can also delay your recovery, so be sure to take things slowly and don’t do too much. For more information, see our section on recovering from carpal tunnel release surgery.
You won’t be able to drive home after the operation. You can’t drive until you can move your hand and wrist well enough and without pain to drive safely. For more information, see our section on recovering from carpal tunnel release surgery.
Carpal tunnel release surgery isn’t usually very painful. But you may need to take some over-the-counter painkillers such as ibuprofen or paracetamol to ease any discomfort once the anaesthetic wears off.For more information, see our section on what to expect afterwards.
Did our Carpal tunnel release surgery information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised August 2022
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated January 2022
- Neurosurgery. Oxford Handbook of Operative Surgery. 3rd ed. Oxford Academic. academic.oup.com, published May 2017
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and median nerve lesions. Patient. patient.info, last edited March 2019
- Genova A, Dix O, Saefan A, et al. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Review of Literature. Cureus. 2020 Mar 19; 12(3):e7333. doi: 10.7759/cureus.7333. PMID: 32313774; PMCID: PMC7164699.
- Carpal tunnel release. Royal College of Surgeons of England. www.rcseng.ac.uk, accessed March 2023
- Minor surgery. Oxford Handbook of General Practice. 5th ed. Oxford Academic. academic.oup.com, published June 2020
- Anaesthesia explained. Royal College of Anaesthetists. www.rcoa.ac.uk, published March 202
- Orthopaedics. Oxford Handbook of Clinical Surgery. 5th ed. Oxford Academic. academic.oup.com, published November 2021
- Local and regional anesthesia. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated November 2019
- Exercise advice: carpal tunnel syndrome. Chartered Society of Physiotherapy. www.csp.org.uk, last reviewed August 2017
- Assessing fitness to drive – a guide for medical professionals. Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). www.gov.uk, published May 2022
- Common postoperative complications. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed November 2020
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed February 2023
- Lane JCE, Craig RS, Rees JL, et al. Serious postoperative complications and reoperation after carpal tunnel decompression surgery in England: a nationwide cohort analysis. Lancet Rheumatol. 2020 Sep 30; 3(1):e49-e57. doi: 10.1016/S2665-9913(20)30238-1. PMID: 33381769; PMCID: PMC7762724.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome. What is the treatment? The British Society for Surgery of the Hand. www.bssh.ac.uk, accessed March 2023
- Keloid and hypertrophic scar. Prognosis. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated May 2020
- Sepsis. Patient. patient.info, last edited July 2020
- About Sepsis. Sepsis Trust. sepsistrust.org, accessed March 2023
- Sepsis. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed February 2023
- Personal communication, Mr Ian Grant, Consultant in Plastic Surgery and Hand Surgery, April 2023