Worried about breast health?
Book a breast check, which includes a mammogram† and get a picture of your current health with our breast health check.
To book or to make an enquiry, call us on 0370 218 8122∧
However, if you are concerned that you may have a lump, please book an urgent GP appointment for assessment, it may be more appropriate to refer you to a specialist.
Did our Breast lump biopsy information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Assessment of breast mass. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed March 2021
- Breast cancer. Patient. patient.info, last edited July 2016
- Suspected cancer: recognition and referral. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), June 2015, updated January 2021. nice.org.uk
- Breast surgery. Oxford Handbook of Operative Surgery, 3rd ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online May 2017
- Improving outcomes in breast cancer. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), August 2002. nice.org.uk
- Needle biopsy. Cancer Research UK. cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed September 2020
- Vacuum assisted biopsy. Cancer Research UK. cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed September 2020
- Fine needle aspiration. Cancer Research UK. cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed February 2020
- Image-guided vacuum-assisted excision biopsy of benign breast lesions. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), February 2006. nice.org.uk
- Breast biopsy for women. Macmillan Cancer Support. www.macmillan.org.uk, reviewed October 2018
- NHS breast screening: helping you decide. Public Health England. gov.uk, accessed April 2021