- Jeukendrup AE. Nutrition for endurance sports: Marathon, triathlon, and road cycling. Journal of Sports Sciences 2011: 29 (sup1); 25-27. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2011.610348.
- Jeukendrup AE. Carbohydrate intake during exercise and performance. Nutrition 2004: 20(7-8); 669–677. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2004.04.017
- Potgieter S. Sport nutrition: A review of the latest guidelines for exercise and sport nutrition from the American College of Sport Nutrition, the International Olympic Committee and the International Society for Sports Nutrition. South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013;26(1):6-16.
- Burke LM et al. Carbohydrates for training and competition. Journal of Sports Sciences 2011: 29(sup1); S17-S27. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2011.585473.
- Nutrition and Athletic Performance. Joint position statement of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise March 2016: 48(4); 543–568. doi: 10.1249/MSS.000000000000085.
- Macronutrients and energy balance. Oxford Handbook of Nutrition and Dietetics (2nd ed, online). Oxford Medicine Online. Published January 2012.
- Chambers ES, Bridge MW, Jones DA. Carbohydrate sensing in the human mouth: effects on exercise performance and brain activity. Journal of Physiology 2009: 587(8); 1779-1794. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2008.164285.
Produced by Nick Ridgman, Head of Health Content, Bupa Health Content Team, October 2017
Expert reviewer, Neil Gunby, Health Adviser, and Adam Keenan, Lifestyle Health Adviser
Next review due October 2020