- Clostridium difficile: associated disease. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 3 August 2016
- Clostridium difficile colitis. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 2 November 2016
- Pseudomembranous colitis. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 23 March 2016
- Clostridium difficile-induced diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis). The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision January 2016
- Diarrhoea – antibiotic associated. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised June 2013
- Faecal microbiota transplant for recurrent Clostridium difficile infection. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), March 2014. www.nice.org.uk
- Map of Medicine. Clostridium difficile. International View. London: Map of Medicine; 2014 (Issue 2)
- Updated guidance on the management and treatment of Clostridium difficile infection. Public Health England, 2013. www.gov.uk
- Clostridium difficile infection information for patients. CDC, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov, accessed 8 March 2017
- Clostridium difficile: infection and infection prevention through hygiene in the home. International Scientific Forum on Home Hygiene. www.ifh-homehygiene.org, last updated 2015
Reviewed by Dr Kristina Routh, Freelance Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, March 2017
Expert reviewer, Professor Robert Read, Professor of Infectious Diseases, University Hospital Southampton
Next review due March 2020
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.