- Cataracts. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated October 2015
- Cataracts and cataract surgery. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked November 2015
- Eye globe anatomy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated July 2015
- Eyes. Oxford handbook of geriatric medicine (online). 2nd ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published July 2012
- Chapter 14: Nursing patients with sensory system problems (ears, ears, nose, and throat). Oxford Handbook of Adult Nursing (online). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online August 2012
- Chapter 26: Ophthalmology. Oxford Handbook of General Practice (online). 4th ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online April 2014
- Cataract. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision July 2016
- Smoking: supporting people to stop. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) quality standard, August 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Angle-closure glaucoma. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked June 2015
- Posterior capsule opacification – why laser treatment is sometimes needed following cataract surgery. Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB). www.rnib.org.uk, accessed 30 August 2016
- Medical conditions, disabilities and driving. Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). www.gov.uk, last updated June 2016
- Visual disorders: assessing fitness to drive. www.gov.uk, first published 11 March 2016
Reviewed by Pippa Coulter, Specialist Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, August 2016.
Expert reviewer, Professor Simon Taylor, Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon
Next review due August 2019
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.