- Corticosteroids and corticosteroid replacement therapy. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 20 January 2015
- Adrenal insufficiency and Addison’s disease. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 8 April 2015
- Corticosteroids – inhaled. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised September 2015
- Corticosteroids – oral. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised August 2015
- Corticosteroids – topical (skin), nose, and eyes. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised September 2015
- Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary (online) London: BMJ Group and Pharmaceutical Press. www.medicinescomplete.com, accessed 1 November 2016
- Kumar, P, Clark, M. Clinical medicine. 8th ed. Edinburgh: Saunders; 2012
- Contraindications and special considerations: the green book, chapter 6. Public Health England, 2013. www.gov.uk
- Ulcerative colitis. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 24 June 2016
- Anabolic steroid use and abuse. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 27 May 2015
Reviewed by Dr Kristina Routh, Freelance Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, November 2016
Expert reviewer, Alastair Bovell, Lead Clinical Pharmacist, Bupa Cromwell Hospital
Next review due November 2019
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.