Did our Vasectomy information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Vasectomy. The British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS). baus.org.uk, published December 2020
- Contraception – sterilization. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised May 2021
- Stormont G, Deibert CM. Vasectomy. StatPearls Publishing. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, last updated 14 April 2022
- Vasectomy. Encyclopaedia Britannica. britannica.com, accessed 11 July 2022
- Sterilisation. Sexwise. www.sexwise.org.uk, last updated August 2018
- Male and female sterilisation. Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health Clinical Guidance. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. fsrh.org, published 1 September 2014
- Sexual health and contraception. Oxford Handbook of General Practice. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online June 2020
- Anaesthesia explained. Royal College of Anaesthetists. www.rcoa.ac.uk, last reviewed January 2021
- Surgical site infections: prevention and treatment. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). nice.org.uk, last updated 19 August 2020
- Testicular lump. The British Association of Urological Surgeons. baus.org.uk, accessed 13 July 2022
- Chirwa M, Davies O, Castelino S, et al. United Kingdom British association for sexual health and HIV national guideline for the management of epididymo-orchitis, 2020. Int J STD AIDS 2021; 32(10):884–95. doi: 10.1177/09564624211003761
- Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC). Sexwise. www.sexwise.org.uk, last updated December 2020
- Anaesthesia (general). British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, accessed 1 September 2022
- General anaesthesia. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 7 June 2018