St John Ambulance
- St John Ambulance
- Overview of fractures. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review July 2019
- Orthopaedic surgery. Oxford handbook of clinical surgery. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online 2013
- General principles of fracture care. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated April 2018
- Fractures (non-complex): Assessment and management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 2016. www.nice.org.uk
- Guay J, Parker MJ, Gajendragadkar PR, et al. Anaesthesia for hip fracture surgery in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD000521.pub3.
- Traction: principles and application. Royal College of Nursing, 2015. www.rcn.org.uk
- Splinting technique. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated October 2017
- Care of casts and splints. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. www.orthoinfo.org, last reviewed August 2015
- Internal fixation for fractures. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. www.orthoinfo.org, last reviewed April 2019
- Fracture external fixation – an overview. Science Direct. www.sciencedirect.com, accessed December 2019
- Orthopaedics. Oxford handbook of operative surgery. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online 2017
- Compartment syndrome. Patient. patient.info, last edited January 2015
- Compartment syndrome of extremities. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed November 2019
- Hip fracture rehabilitation in physiotherapy practice. Chartered Society of Physiotherapists. 2018 www.csp.org.uk
- Ismail A, Dancey A, Titley OG. Prosthetic metal implants and airport metal detectors. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2013; 95(3):211–14. doi:10.1308/003588413X13511609955977
- Your rights at the airport. GOV UK www.gov.uk, accessed December 2019
- Walker boot / shoe advice. NHS Wales. www.wales.nhs.uk, published April 2019
Reviewed by Sarah Smith, Freelance Health Editor and Natalie Heaton, Specialist Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, January 2020
Expert reviewer, Mr Roger Tillman, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Next review due January 2023
Did our information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.