If you’re a line manager, you play an important role in supporting your team’s mental health and wellbeing. But it can be hard to know where to start. The suggestions in this section should help.
We also provide information on supporting employees with mental health problems.
- How to promote wellbeing and tackle the causes of work related mental health problems. Mind. www.mind.org.uk [accessed May 2017]
- Creating mentally healthy workplaces, what employees say and how employers can improve. Time To Change, www.time-to-change.org.uk [accessed May 2016]
- Mental wellbeing at work. NICE Public health guideline PH22, published November 2009
- Harvey SB, Modini M, Joyce S, et al. Can work make you mentally ill? A systematic meta-review of work-related risk factors for common mental health problems. Occup Environ Med 2017; 74: 301–310
- Beauregard TA, Henry LC. Making the link between work-life balance practices and organizational performance. Human resource management review 2009, 19;9–22
Produced by Clare Foster, freelance health editor, and Nick Ridgman, Head of Health Content, Bupa UK, September 2017
Next review due September 2020
Bupa UK expert reviewers:
- Naomi Humber, Psychology Services Manager, EAP
- Stuart Haydock, Resilience Lead, Health Clinics
- Sarah Deedat, Head of Behaviour Change
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short form below will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.