- Stevenson D and Farmer P (2017) Thriving at work: the Stevenson-Farmer review of mental health and employers. GOV.UK. www.gov.uk, accessed May 2020
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Healthy workplaces: improving employee mental and physical health and wellbeing Quality standard [QS147]. NICE. www.nice.org.uk, published March 2017
- Standards for tackling work related stress. Health and Safety Executive. HSE.gov.uk. www.hse.gov.uk, accessed May 2020
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Mental wellbeing at work. Public health guideline [PH22]. Recommendation 2. NICE. www.nice.org.uk, published November 2009, updated in 2018
- Beauregard, T. Alexandra and Henry, Lesley C. (2009) Making the link between work-life balance practices and organizational performance. Human resource management review, 19, pp. 9-22. ISSN 1053-4822
- Harvey SB, Modini M, Joyce S, et al Can work make you mentally ill? A systematic meta-review of work-related risk factors for common mental health problems Occup Environ Med 2017;74:301-310
- CIPD and Simply Health, Health and Wellbeing at Work Survey Report March 2020. CIPD. www.cipd.co.uk, accessed May 2020
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Mental wellbeing at work. Public health guideline [PH22]. Recommendation 1. NICE. www.nice.org.uk, published November 2009, accessed May 2020
- Five ways to wellbeing: the evidence. New Economics Foundation. www.neweconomics.org, published October 2008
Reviewed by Clare Foster, Freelance Health Editor, and Marcella McEvoy, Specialist Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, September 2020
Expert reviewer, Richard Smith, Specialist Nurse Advisor for Mental Health at Bupa
Next review due September 2023
Did our information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.