- Colorectal surgery. Oxford handbook of operative surgery. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online May 2017
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 27 March 2018
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy. Cancer Research UK. www.cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed 15 March 2019
- Bowel cancer screening: programme overview. Public Health England. www.gov.uk, last updated 8 November 2018
- UK Flexible sigmoidoscopy screening trial. Cancer Screening and Prevention Research Group. www.csprg.org.uk accessed 13 May 2019
- UK National Screening Committee recommendation on bowel cancer screening. UK National Screening Committee, August 2018. legacyscreening.phe.org.uk
- Bowel scope screening: standard operating procedures. Public Health England, June 2018. www.gov.uk
- Gastrointestinal medicine. Oxford handbook of general practice. Oxford Medicine Online, published online April 2014.
- Consent: patients and doctors making decisions together. General Medical Council, June 2008. www.gmc-uk.org
- What is accreditation? Joint Advisory Group on GI Endoscopy (JAG). Royal College of Physicians. www.thejag.org.uk, accessed 8 May 2019
- CT colonography. Radiologyinfo.org. Radiological Society of North America. www.radiologyinfo.org, reviewed 25 February 2018
- Colorectal assessment. Colorectal surgery (Oxford specialist handbooks in surgery). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online October 2011
- Sedation explained. Royal College of Anaesthetists, 2018. www.rcoa.ac.uk
- Oral anticoagulants. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, reviewed 3 July 2019
- Bowel scope screening. NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme. Public Health England, May 2018. www.gov.uk
- Sigmoidoscopy. Encyclopaedia Britannica. www.britannica.com, accessed 13 May 2019
- Colorectal cancer. BMJ BestPractice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed April 2019
Reviewed by Pippa Coulter, Freelance Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, July 2019
Expert reviewed Ian Arnott, Consultant Gastroenterologist
Next review due July 2022
Did our information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.