Looking for physiotherapy?
You can access a range of treatments on a pay as you go basis, including physiotherapy.
To book or to make an enquiry, call us on 0370 218 6528∧
The treatment you need for pain at the front of your knee will depend on exactly what’s causing it. There are many things you can do yourself, including resting your knee and applying ice to it. But for some conditions, physiotherapy or surgery may help. For more information, see our sections on self-help and treatment above.
Pain at the front of your knee can be caused by problems with your kneecap or the tendons that hold it in place. Ligament injuries and osteoarthritis can also cause this type of pain. To find out more, see our sections on causes and conditions above.
Your doctor will be able to assess how serious your knee pain is by asking you questions and examining your knee. If necessary, they’ll carry out some scans too. You should see a doctor if your symptoms are severe or don’t start to improve within a few weeks. For more information on this, see our section on symptoms above.
Did our Front (anterior) knee pain information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Tendinopathy. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 29 May 2021
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 29 May 2021
- Anterior knee pain. Patient. patient.info, last edited 24 May 2021
- Assessment of knee injury. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 8 May 2021
- Knee pain. Versus Arthritis. versusarthritis.org, last accessed 8 June 2021
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome. OrthoInfo. orthoinfo.aaos.org, last reviewed October 2020
- Jumper's knee. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 11 March 2019
- Quadriceps injury. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 2 June 2017
- Draghi F, Ferrozzi G, Urciuoli L, et al. Hoffa's fat pad abnormalities, knee pain and magnetic resonance imaging in daily practice. Insights Imaging 2016; 7(3):373–83. doi: 10.1007/s13244-016-0483-8
- Knee sprains and meniscal injuries. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision March 2021
- Anterior cruciate ligament injury. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 7 May 2021
- Osteoarthritis. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised June 2018
- Bursitis. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 28 May 2021
- Prepatellar bursitis. Patient. patient.info, last edited 24 August 2016
- Musculoskeletal problems. Oxford Handbook of General Practice. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online June 2020
- Osteoarthritis. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 17 April 2021
- Osgood-Schlatter disease (knee pain). OrthoInfo. orthoinfo.aaos.org, last reviewed August 2020
- Knee pain – assessment. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised July 2017
- Orthopaedics. Oxford Handbook of Operative Surgery. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online June 2017