Looking for physiotherapy?
You can access a range of treatments on a pay as you go basis, including physiotherapy.
To book or to make an enquiry, call us on 0370 218 6528∧
Did our Epidural injections for lower back and leg pain information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Low back pain and sciatica in over 16s: assessment and management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), last updated 11 December 2020. www.nice.org.uk
- Sciatica (lumbar radiculopathy). NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised December 2020
- Epidural steroid injection for the treatment of pain. Faculty of Pain Medicine, Royal College of Anaesthetists. www.fpm.ac.uk, reviewed September 2019
- Recommendations for good practice in the use of epidural injection for the management of pain of spinal origin in adults. Faculty of Pain Medicine, Royal College of Anaesthetists, April 2011. www.fpm.ac.uk
- Epidural steroid injections. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 19 August 2020
- Chang D, Zlomislic V. Chapter 273 Lumbar Spinal Injections. In: Chapman MW. Chapman's Comprehensive Orthopaedic Surgery, 4th ed. 2019. New Delhi: Jaypee Brothers Medical Pub
- Discogenic low back pain. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed 25 January 2021
- Hassan KZ, Sherman AI. Epidural steroids. StatPearls. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books, last updated 20 July 2020
- Personal communication. Dr Johann Emmanuel, Consultant in Pain Medicine, 4 March 2021
- Epidural injections. RadiologyInfo.org. Radiological Society of North America. radiologyinfo.org, reviewed 20 March 2019
- Betamethasone. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated 28 January 2021