Ectopic pregnancies usually happen in the fallopian tubes and can’t develop normally. See our What is an ectopic pregnancy? section for more information.
Did our Ectopic pregnancy information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Ectopic pregnancy. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised November 2021
- Ectopic pregnancy. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed February 2022
- Conception and prenatal development. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision May 2021
- Ectopic pregnancy. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed May 2021 https://patient.info/doctor/ectopic-pregnancy-pro
- Ectopic pregnancy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated September 2017
- Gynecologic laparoscopy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated September 2018
- Ectopic pregnancy and miscarriage: diagnosis and initial management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). www.nice.org.uk, last updated November 2021
- Methotrexate. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated February 2022
- Surgical management of ectopic pregnancy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated January 2021
- Salpingostomy and salpingectomy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated March 2018
- Pelvic inflammatory disease. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed July 2021
- Ectopic pregnancy. Miscarriage Association. www.miscarriageassociation.org.uk, published 2019