- Paraspinal injections – facet joint and nerve root blocks. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 21 October 2014
- Discogenic low back pain. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated December 2017
- Lumbar facet arthropathy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 5 February 2017
- Spinal injections. OrthoInfo – American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. orthoinfo.aaos.org, last reviewed December 2013
- Lumbar facet joint injection. British Association of Spine Surgeons, March 2016. www.spinesurgeons.ac.uk
- Low back pain and sciatica in over 16s: assessment and management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 30 November 2016. www.nice.org.uk
- Musculoskeletal lower back pain. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed January 2018
- Standards of good practice for medial branch block injections and radiofrequency denervation for low back pain. British Pain Society and Faculty of Pain Medicine of the Royal College of Anaesthetists. March 2014. www.britishpainsociety.org
- Staal JB, de Bie R, de Vet HCW, et al. Injection therapy for subacute and chronic low-back pain. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, Issue 3. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD001824.pub3
Reviewed by Pippa Coulter, Freelance Health Editor, August 2018
Expert reviewer, Dr Norman Kufakwaro, Consultant in Pain Medicine and Neuromodulation, Bupa Cromwell Hospital
Next review due August 2021
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.