- Head lice. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised December 2016
- Head lice. PatientPlus. www.patient.info, last checked August 2016
- Head lice. British Association of Dermatologists. www.bad.org.uk, updated May 2017
- Pediculosis capitis. BMJ BestPractice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last revised June 2018
- Dermatology - head lice. Oxford handbook of general practice. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online April 2014
- The spotty book: notes on infectious diseases in schools and nurseries. Public Health England, October 2017. www.england.nhs.uk
- Lice (pediculosis). MSD Manual. www.msdmanuals, last full review/revision October 2016
- Pubic and body lice. PatientPlus. www.patient.info, last checked January 2017
Reviewed by Pippa Coulter, Freelance Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, July 2018.
Expert reviewer Dr Adrian Raby, General Practitioner
Next review due July 2021
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.