This tool describes itself as gym membership for your mind using meditation and mindfulness techniques. You can start off with free 10-day introduction to meditation and then choose to subscribe for access to more exercises covering a range of topics. You can use it on your phone or computer, depending on what suits you best.
Mental Health Foundation
The Mental Health Foundation is a charity that carries out research and offers information about many areas of mental health. If you have problems with your sleep, this page is for you. It has details of some reasons that are behind having trouble sleeping and suggestions of things you can try to help yourself sleep better.
The charity Mind has information to support people with a mental health condition and those who care for them. Their sleep content has tips on practical things you can do to help yourself if you’re not sleeping well.
- Insomnia. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 27 January 2017
- Qaseem A, Kansagara D, Forciea MA, et al. Management of chronic insomnia disorder in adults: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med 2016; 165(2):125–33. doi: 10.7326/M15-2175
- Insomnia. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised April 2015
- Healthy living. Oxford handbook of general practice (online). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published April 2014
- Insomnia. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 1 August 2016
- Sleeping well. Royal College of Psychiatrists. www.rcpsych.ac.uk, updated July 2014
- Wilson SJ, Nutt DJ, Alford C, et al. British Association for Psychopharmacology consensus statement on evidence-based treatment of insomnia, parasomnias and circadian rhythm disorders. J Psychopharmacol 2010; 24(11):1577–601. doi: 10.1177/0269881110379307
- Hysing M, Pallesen S, Morten Stormark K, et al. Sleep and use of electronic devices in adolescence: results from a large population-based study. BMJ Open 2015; 5(1):e006748. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-006748
- Hypnotics. NICE British National Formulary. www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current, reviewed January 2017
- Antihistamines. NICE British National Formulary. www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current, reviewed January 2017
- Melatonin. NICE British National Formulary. www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current, reviewed January 2017
- Menopause. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 19 January 2016
- Menopause and its management. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 24 February 2016
- Menopause. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised October 2015
- Cheuk DKL, Yeung WF, Chung KF, et al. Acupuncture for insomnia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 9. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD005472.pub3
- What should I look for when choosing or employing a complementary therapist? Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council. www.cnhc.org.uk, accessed 17 February 2017
Reviewed by Rachael Mayfield-Blake, Freelance Health Editor, February 2017
Expert reviewer Dr Ari Manuel, Consultant in Sleep Medicine
Next review due February 2020
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.