Worried about your BMI?
Get a picture of your current health and potential future health risks with one of our health assessments.
To book or to make an enquiry, call us on 0370 218 8122∧
Tools and calculators
Did our Overweight in children information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Obesity in children. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed December 2021
- Weight problems in children. Patient information from BMJ. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last published December 2021
- Weight problems in children: increasing physical activity. Patient information from BMJ. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last published December 2021
- Obesity in children. Medscape. www.emedicine.medscape.com, updated December 2020
- Obesity: identification, assessment and management. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 2014. www.nice.org.uk
- Weight management: lifestyle services for overweight or obese children and young people. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), October 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Maternal and child nutrition, November 2014. www.nice.org.uk
- National Child Measurement Programme, England 2020/21 school year. digital.nhs.uk, last edited November 2021
- UK Chief Medical Officers’ physical activity guidelines, 2019. Gov.uk.
- Helping your child who is overweight. NIH. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. niddk.nih.gov, last reviewed September 2016
- Personal communication, Dr Ade Adeniyi, Bupa Clinics GP, January 2022