- Stable ischaemic heart disease. BMJ Best practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed April 2018
- Coronary artery atherosclerosis. Medscape. www.emedicine.medscape.com, updated April 2016
- Heart anatomy. Medscape. www.emedicine.medscape.com, updated July 2015
- Exercise tolerance testing. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, last checked April 2015
- Epidemiology of coronary heart disease. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, last checked July 2014
- Acute myocardial infarction management. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, last checked May 2016
- Overview of coronary artery disease. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision September 2016
- Radionuclide imaging. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision September 2017
- Heart failure - chronic. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised January 2017
- CVD risk assessment and management. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised September 2014
- Cardiovascular disease: risk assessment and reduction, including lipid modification. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 2014 (updated 2016). www.nice.org.uk
- Atorvastatin. NICE British National Formulary. www.evidence.nhs.uk/formulary/bnf/current, accessed June 2018
- Montalescot G, Sechtem U, Achenbach S, et al. 2013 ESC guidelines on the management of stable coronary artery disease: the task force on the management of stable coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J 2013; 34(38):2949–3003. DOI: 10.1093/eurheartj/eht296
- Radionuclide test. British Heart Foundation. www.bhf.org.uk, accessed June 2018
- MRI scans. British Heart Foundation. www.bhf.org.uk, accessed June 2018
- Medicines for my heart. British Heart Foundation 2017. www.bhf.org.uk
- Sex and heart conditions. British Heart Foundation. www.bhf.org.uk, accessed June 2018
- Medical conditions, disabilities and driving. GOV.UK. www.gov.uk, accessed June 2018
- Sex and heart disease. American Heart Association. www.heart.org, updated March 2018
Reviewed by Dr Kristina Routh, Freelance Health Editor, Bupa Health Content Team, June 2018.
Expert reviewer, Tim Cripps, Consultant Cardiologist
Next review due June 2021
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.