- Guts UK!
- Guts UK!
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated May 2018
- Endoscopy. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision February 2017
- Upper gastrointestinal surgery: upper gastrointestinal endoscopy. Oxford handbook of clinical surgery. Oxford Medicine Online. www.oxfordmedicine.com, published March 2013
- Gastroenterology. Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine. Oxford Medicine Online. www.oxfordmedicine.com, published September 2017
- Endoscopy. Cancer Research UK. www.cancerresearchuk.org, last reviewed April 2015
- Veitch AM, Vanbiervliet G, Gershlick AH, et al. Endoscopy in patients on antiplatelet or anticoagulant therapy, including direct oral anticoagulants: British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) and European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) guidelines. Gut 2016; 65:374–89. doi:10.1136/gutjnl-2015-311110
- Gastroscopy (endoscopy). Department of Health, Government of Western Australia. healthywa.wa.gov.au, accessed September 2018
- Upper GI endoscopy. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. www.niddk.nih.gov, published July 2017
- Adverse events of upper GI endoscopy. American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 2012. www.asge.org, accessed November 2018
- Understanding upper endoscopy. American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. www.asge.org, accessed September 2018
- Shergill AK, Ben-Menachem T, Chandrasekhara V, et al. ASGE Standard of Practice committee. Guidelines for endoscopy in pregnant and lactating women. Gastrointest Endosc 2012; 76:18–24. doi:10.1016/j.gie.2012.02.029
- Personal communication, Dr Ian Arnott, Consultant Gastroenterologist, October 2018
- X-ray (Radiography) – Upper GI Tract. RadiologyInfo.org. www.radiologyinfo.org, reviewed 1 April 2017
- Everett SM, Griffiths H, Nandasoma U, et al. Guideline for obtaining valid consent for gastrointestinal endoscopy procedures. Gut 2016; (65):1585–1601
Reviewed by Dr Kristina Routh, Freelance Health Editor, November 2018
Expert reviewer, Dr Ian Arnott, Consultant Gastroenterologist
Next review due November 2021
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.