You may find some exercises help to ease your pain and make your jaw easier to move. Doing these exercises in front of a mirror will help you check that you’re doing them properly. Speak to your doctor, dentist or physiotherapist who can show you the most suitable exercises for you in your circumstances.
Arthritis can sometimes cause jaw joint problems. But arthritis tends to affect older people whereas jaw joint problems usually affect people aged between 20 and 40. Different types of arthritis may affect your joint. These include:
- osteoarthritis, which can cause wear and tear of your jaw joint
- rheumatoid arthritis, which can cause pain and swelling (inflammation) in your jaw joint
- secondary degenerative arthritis, which can be caused by an injury or may happen if you’ve had jaw joint pain for a long time
Arthritis of your jaw joint can also be caused by:
- an infection – your jaw joint may be red and swollen and feel stiff and sore when you move it
- an injury to your jaw
Your dentist may refer you for an X-ray to see if you have arthritis in your jaw.
Did our Jaw joint problems information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Temporomandibular joint syndrome. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed December 2020
- Temporomandibular disorders (TMDs). NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised December 2016
- Temporomandibular joint syndrome. emedicine.medscape.com, updated June 2020
- Temporomandibular disorders. Patient. patient.info, last edited December 2020
- Conville RM, Moriarty F, Atkins S. The management of temporomandibular disorders: a headache in general practice. Br J Gen Pract 2019; 69(687):523–24. doi: 10.3399/bjgp19X705977
- Schiffman E, Ohrbach R, Truelove E, et al. Diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders (DC/TMD) for clinical and research applications: recommendations of the International RDC/TMD Consortium Network and Orofacial Pain Special Interest Group. J Oral Facial Pain Headache, 2014; 28(1):6–27. doi: 10.11607/jop.1151
- Jaw joint problems. British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. www.baoms.org.uk, accessed January 2021
- Analgesics. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated January 2021
- Neuropathic pain. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised February 2020
- Ear, nose, and throat. Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction. Oxford Handbook of General Practice. 5th ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online June 2020
- Bruxism. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed April 2021
- Internal temporomandibular joint (TMJ) derangement. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision June 2020
- Arthritis of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision June 2020
- Osteoarthritis. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised June 2018
- Rheumatoid arthritis. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised April 2020