- Anal fissure. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 27 April 2016
- Chronic anal fissure: botulinum toxin type A injection. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 25 June 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Anal canal anatomy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 25 February 2015
- Anal fissure. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, last checked 23 June 2015
- Anal fissure. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised November 2012
- Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary (online) London: BMJ Group and Pharmaceutical Press. www.medicinescomplete.com, accessed 6 June 2016
- Constipation. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 25 January 2016
- Anal fissure. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 16 December 2015
- Chronic anal fissure: 0.2% topical glyceryl trinitrate ointment. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 26 March 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Chronic anal fissure: 2% topical diltiazem hydrochloride. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 22 January 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Prescribing guidance: prescribing unlicensed medicines. General Medical Council. www.gmc-uk.org, published 25 February 2013
- Anal fissure. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. www.fascrs.org, accessed 6 June 2016
- OSH colorectal surgery. Anorectal disorders (online). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published October 2011
- Brown SR, Haboubi N, Hampton J, et al. Colorectal disease. Position statements: management of anal fissure management of acute severe colitis. Colorectal Disease 2008; 10(Suppl 3):1–7. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2008.01682.x
- Anal fissure. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision July 2014
- Physical activity: brief advice for adults in primary care. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), May 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Understanding constipation. American Gastroenterological Association. www.gastro.org, published January 2013
- Stedman’s Medical Dictionary. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. www.medicinescomplete.com, accessed 7 June 2016
- Nelson RL, Thomas K, Morgan J, et al. Non-surgical therapy for anal fissure. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 2. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003431.pub3
- Haemorrhoids. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 28 January 2016
Reviewed by Rachael Mayfield-Blake, Bupa Health Content Team, July 2016.
Expert reviewer, Mr Simon M Phillips, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon.
Next review due August 2018.