- Anal fissure. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 27 April 2016
- Chronic anal fissure: botulinum toxin type A injection. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 25 June 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Anal canal anatomy. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 25 February 2015
- Anal fissure. PatientPlus. www.patient.info/patientplus, last checked 23 June 2015
- Anal fissure. NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised November 2012
- Joint Formulary Committee. British National Formulary (online) London: BMJ Group and Pharmaceutical Press. www.medicinescomplete.com, accessed 6 June 2016
- Constipation. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 25 January 2016
- Anal fissure. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 16 December 2015
- Chronic anal fissure: 0.2% topical glyceryl trinitrate ointment. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 26 March 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Chronic anal fissure: 2% topical diltiazem hydrochloride. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), 22 January 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Prescribing guidance: prescribing unlicensed medicines. General Medical Council. www.gmc-uk.org, published 25 February 2013
- Anal fissure. American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. www.fascrs.org, accessed 6 June 2016
- OSH colorectal surgery. Anorectal disorders (online). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published October 2011
- Brown SR, Haboubi N, Hampton J, et al. Colorectal disease. Position statements: management of anal fissure management of acute severe colitis. Colorectal Disease 2008; 10(Suppl 3):1–7. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2008.01682.x
- Anal fissure. The MSD Manuals. www.msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision July 2014
- Physical activity: brief advice for adults in primary care. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), May 2013. www.nice.org.uk
- Understanding constipation. American Gastroenterological Association. www.gastro.org, published January 2013
- Stedman’s Medical Dictionary. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. www.medicinescomplete.com, accessed 7 June 2016
- Nelson RL, Thomas K, Morgan J, et al. Non-surgical therapy for anal fissure. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 2. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003431.pub3
- Haemorrhoids. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last updated 28 January 2016
Reviewed by Rachael Mayfield-Blake, Bupa Health Content Team, July 2016.
Expert reviewer, Mr Simon M Phillips, Consultant Colorectal Surgeon.
Next review due August 2018.
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.