- Age UK
0800 055 6112
Age UK has a range of information about how you can keep active as you get older. This includes guidance on strength and balance exercises to help prevent falls, and advice about how to stay steady on your feet.
- Walking for Health
020 7339 8541
Walking for Health is a network of walking schemes in England. They aim to help people live a more active lifestyle by organising weekly walks across the country. These are run by volunteers and are open to everyone, no matter how active or inactive you are.
- Age UK
- Start active, stay active. GOV.UK. www.gov.uk, last updated 11 March 2016
- Physical activity benefits infographic for adults and older people. GOV.UK. www.gov.uk, last updated 29 June 2017
- Disability in older people. PatientPlus. patient.info/patientplus, last checked 28 January 2016
- Older people. Oxford handbook of sport and exercise medicine (online). Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published November 2012
- Exercise and physical activity. Age UK. www.ageuk.org.uk, last updated 17 October 2017
- How much physical activity do older adults need? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov, page last reviewed 4 June 2015
- Measuring physical activity intensity. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. www.cdc.gov, page last reviewed 4 June 2015
- Osteoarthritis. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed January 2018
- Osteoarthritis. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated 31 October 2017
- Exercise and physical activity. National Institute on Aging. go4life.nia.nih.gov, accessed January 2013
Reviewed by Rachael Mayfield-Blake, Freelance Health Editor, February 2018
Expert reviewer, Ashley Oliver, Senior Physiotherapist, Bupa Health Clinics
Next review due February 2021
Has our health information helped you?
We’d love to know what you think about what you’ve just been reading and looking at – we’ll use it to improve our information. If you’d like to give us some feedback, our short survey will take just a few minutes to complete. And if there's a question you want to ask that hasn't been answered here, please submit it to us. Although we can't respond to specific questions directly, we’ll aim to include the answer to it when we next review this topic.