Need a GP appointment? Telephone or Video GP service
With our GP services, we aim to give you an appointment the same day, subject to availability.
To book or to make an enquiry, call us on 0343 253 8381∧
Ventricular tachycardia is most common in people who already have a heart problem such as coronary artery disease, a previous heart attack or heart muscle disease (cardiomyopathy). But there are other possible causes too. For more information, see our section on causes of ventricular tachycardia.
Lots of people live with ventricular tachycardia. They may need to take medicines to control their heart rhythm. Or they may have an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) fitted to restore their heartbeat to normal during an attack. For more information, see our section on treatment of ventricular tachycardia section for more information.
Did our Ventricular tachycardia information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Overview of arrhythmias. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision July 2021
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillators and cardiac resynchronisation therapy for arrhythmias and heart failure. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), Technology Appraisal Guidance (TA314) June 2014. nice.org.uk
- Ventricular tachycardia. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated December 2017
- Ventricular tachycardia. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision July 2021
- Sustained ventricular tachycardias. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed January 2022
- Heart palpitations. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed December 2021
- Ventricular tachycardias. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed November 2020
- Electrocardiography. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated March 2019
- Assessment of palpitations. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed January 2022
- Echocardiography. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated January 2020
- 2021 Resuscitation Guidelines: Adult advanced life support. Peri-arrest arrhythmias. Tachycardias. Resuscitation Council (UK). www.resus.org.uk, published 2021
- Defibrillation and cardioversion. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated May 2018
- Introduction. ESC CardioMed. 3rd ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online July 2018
- Transverse cardiac pacing. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated October 2021
- Direct-Current (DC) cardioversion-defibrillation. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision January 2021
- Arrhythmias. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated February 2022
- Ablation for cardiac arrhythmia. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision January 2021
- Catheter ablation. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated April 2020
- Aryana A, Tung R and d'Avila A. Percutaneous epicardial approach to catheter ablation of cardiac arrhythmias. JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2020 Jan; 6(1):1–20. doi: 10.1016/j.jacep.2019.10.016. PMID: 31971898
- Ventricular fibrillation. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision July 2021
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs). British Heart Foundation. www.bhf.org.uk, published February 2018
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillators. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision January 2021
- Tachycardia and driving. Gov.uk. www.gov.uk, accessed March 2022
- Assessing fitness to drive: a guide for medical professionals. Cardiovascular disorders. DVLA. assets.publishing.service.gov.uk, published March 2021
- Personal communication, Dr Tim Cripps, Consultant Cardiologist, March 2022