Help when you need it
Arranging care can be a little overwhelming at first. Our helpful, understanding care advisors offer free advice on anything from funding to finding just the right home.
Call a customer care advisor on 0370 218 4495∧
Alzheimer’s is a disease of the brain. It’s the most common cause of dementia. Alzheimer’s disease affects memory and thinking and can affect people’s behaviour. For more information, see our section: About Alzheimer’s disease.
Alzheimer’s disease is caused by changes in the brain, especially from ageing. It affects how well nerve cells work, communicate and repair themselves. For more information, see our section: Causes of Alzheimer’s disease.
Did our Alzheimer’s disease information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- Dementia: assessment, management and support for people living with dementia and their carers. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) Guideline NG97, June 2018. nice.org.uk
- Alzheimer’s dementia. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed September 2021
- Dementia. Clinical Knowledge Summaries. cks.nice.org.uk, last revised May 2021
- Neuropsychiatry. Oxford Handbook of Psychiatry. 4th ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online June 2019
- Alzheimer disease. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated July 2021
- Delirium. BMJ Best Practice. bestpractice.bmj.com, last reviewed September 2021
- Dementia treatment summary. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated October 2021
- Donepezil hydrochloride. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated October 2021
- Galantamine. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated October 2021
- Rivastigmine. NICE British National Formulary. bnf.nice.org.uk, last updated October 2021
- Disease-specific therapies and symptomatic cognitive enhancement. Practical Dementia Care. 3rd ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online May 2016
- Donepezil, galantamine, rivastigmine and memantine in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. NICE Technological Appraisal Guidance TA217, June 2018. nice.org.uk
- Fiona Clague, Stewart W. Mercer, Gary McLean, et al. Comorbidity and polypharmacy in people with dementia: insights from a large, population-based cross-sectional analysis of primary care data. Age Ageing 2017; 46(1):33–9. doi:10.1093/ageing/afw176
- Alzheimer’s disease. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed December 2020
- Alzheimer disease. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision March 2021
- Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Pathology. Oxford Textbook of Medicine. 6th ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online January 2020
- Prevention, early detection and mild cognitive impairment. Practical Dementia Care. 3rd ed. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online May 2016
- Clare L, Kudlicka A, Oyebode, JR et al. Goal-oriented cognitive rehabilitation for early-stage Alzheimer's and related dementias: the GREAT RCT. Health Technol Asses 2019; 23(10)[pages] doi:10.3310/hta23100
- Aromatherapy, massage and dementia. Alzheimer’s Society. www.alzheimers.org.uk, accessed October 2021
- Staying healthy with sleep. Alzheimer’s Society. www.alzheimers.org.uk, accessed October 2021
- Sharma K. Cholinesterase inhibitors as Alzheimer's therapeutics (Review). Mol Med Rep 2019; 20(2):1479–87. doi:10.3892/mmr.2019.10374