Everyone loses a different amount of weight. This may depend on what you’re eating and how much exercise you’re doing after your surgery. For more information, see our section on what to expect afterwards.
If your gastric band is causing problems or you don’t want it anymore, you can have it taken out. But you may put the weight back on if you don’t have another weight-loss procedure. For more information, see our section on complications of gastric band surgery.
Did our Gastric band surgery information help you?
We’d love to hear what you think. Our short survey takes just a few minutes to complete and helps us to keep improving our health information.
This information was published by Bupa's Health Content Team and is based on reputable sources of medical evidence. It has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals and deemed accurate on the date of review. Photos are only for illustrative purposes and do not reflect every presentation of a condition.
Any information about a treatment or procedure is generic, and does not necessarily describe that treatment or procedure as delivered by Bupa or its associated providers.
The information contained on this page and in any third party websites referred to on this page is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment. Third party websites are not owned or controlled by Bupa and any individual may be able to access and post messages on them. Bupa is not responsible for the content or availability of these third party websites. We do not accept advertising on this page.
- O'Kane M, Parretti HM, Pinkney J, et al. British Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Society Guidelines on perioperative and postoperative biochemical monitoring and micronutrient replacement for patients undergoing bariatric surgery – 2020 update. Obesity Reviews. 2020; 21:e13087. doi:10.1111/obr.13087
- Gastric banding. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated June 2019
- Bariatric surgery. MSD Manuals. msdmanuals.com, last full review/revision January 2020
- Bariatric surgery. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed January 2015
- Bariatric surgery treatment and management. Long-term monitoring. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated June 2019
- Obesity: identification, assessment and management. Surgical interventions. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE), November 2014. nice.org.uk
- GP ten top tips: managing patients’ post-bariatric surgery in primary care – extended. Royal College of General Practitioners. www.rcgp.org.uk, published November 2014
- Kirshtein B, Kirshtein A, Perry Z, et al. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric band removal and outcome of subsequent revisional bariatric procedures: A retrospective review of 214 consecutive patients. Int J Surg. 2016; 27:133-137. doi:10.1016/j.ijsu.2016.01.068
- General surgery. Oxford Handbook of Operative Medicine. 3rd edition. Oxford Medicine Online. oxfordmedicine.com, published online May 2017
- Preparing for surgery – fitter better sooner. Royal College of Anaesthetists. www.rcoa.ac.uk, published 2018
- You and your anaesthetic. Royal College of Anaesthetists. www.rcoa.ac.uk, published February 2020
- Laparoscopic gastric banding. Technique. Medscape. emedicine.medscape.com, updated April 2021
- Anaesthesia explained. In the recovery room. Royal College of Anaesthetists. www.rcoa.ac.uk, published March 2021
- Caring for someone who has had a general anaesthetic or sedation. Royal College of Anaesthetists. www.rcoa.ac.uk, published 2018
- Common events and risks in anaesthesia. Royal College of Anaesthetists. www.rcoa.ac.uk, published September 2019
- Common postoperative complications. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed November 2020
- Gallstones and cholecystitis. Patient. patient.info, last reviewed May 2021
- Janik M, Ibikunle C, Khan A, Aryaie AH. Safety of single stage revision laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy compared to laparoscopic roux-y gastric bypass after failed gastric banding. Obes Surg. 2021; 31(2):588-596. doi:10.1007/s11695-020-04975-6
- Colquitt JL, Pickett K, Loveman E, Frampton GK. Surgery for weight loss in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, Issue 8. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD003641.pub4